Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Best shop manual?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wvucoalminer, Apr 12, 2009.

1. wvucoalminer

wvucoalminer New Member

Hey guys I was just wondering if you could chime in on which shop manual is the best.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Helm makes the best manual IMO. They are not cheap though. This is what most service departments use at dealerships, so I have been told. I ordered 1 for my truck and it is 4 books about 4' thick.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have had Chilton, Hayne's and a few other one's which have been all good, but when I bought my Helm's manuals for my Silverado and S-10 they took the cake. They will tell you everything and then some, I would die without them!

2 votes for Helm's! :party:

4. KirkW

KirkW Rockstar

The Helm (Factory Service Manuals) are the most informative, but not the most readable or straightforward. Lots of page-flipping when following diagnostic procedures. That said, if you carefully follow their instructions you won't go wrong. EVERYTHING is in them - every wire, every part, every subassembly (and how to rebuild all of it).

The Haynes manuals are the most readable, but not as much information as the factory manual. Still, good for most DIY maintenance tasks (brakes, fluid changes, engine accessories, etc.)

The Chiltons manuals tend to be condensed versions of the factory manuals, kind of the worst of both worlds - the unreadability of the factory manual combined with the limited information of a Haynes.

For my vehicles I usually buy a Haynes manual right away, then order a Helm manual later. For some reason I always keep the manuals when I sell the vehicle - makes for a nice library.