1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bry2500, Mar 1, 2009.

1. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My truck is due for an oil change, last change I used Quaker state full synthetic Truck/suv blend. I always use mobil1 in the wifes mini van, but now I think I am going to Royal purple in both. Can anyone give me reasons why or whynot to use RP. Also a mechanic I know rants about Lucas oil additive, anyone heard good/bad about this stuff?
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've never heard anything bad about RP or Lucas. I know some of my friends are pretty fanatical about RP, but I would also look into AMS if I were you. Get in touch with 1stsynthetic on this forum for more info. on it. I've used AMS in the past and have had no issues what so ever, plus you can support one of our vendors.
  3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hello bry2500,

First let me say I would not use oil additives. If you have to add an additive to your oil then you are buying the wrong oil. Everything you engine needs for lubrication and protection should be in the oil you are buying. check this out Comparative Motor Oil Testing. Then here is the information on AMSOIL Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Oil Filters (EaO).

Here is a graph of a 4 ball wear test:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Royal Purple and Lucas do not offer the extended drain interval that AMSOIL offers you. The use of SSO combined with an EaO oil filter has a recommended drain interval of up to 35k miles. ( SSO is the oil I recommend fot your Avalanche). When switching oil I also recommend that you flush the old oil and sentiment out with the oil flush.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oil producers. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations at these higher levels. Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan.

I hope this helps out. Let me know if I can answer anything else about lubricants for you.

Scott
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i run AMS in all my cars, truck and motorcycle only the best
  5. 1st Synthetics

Ya I just ordered oil and filters to stock up for the upcoming riding season. (Harley)
  6. RockHead

RockHead New Member 100 Posts

I use Ams In my the SS :great:
  7. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Seems like Amsoil is the clear choice.

I was not aware that royal used moly in their oil. We use moly and graphite in my company for moving parts in vacuum systems and I am very aware of their need to stay dry. It is mostly for vacuum purposes because of outgassing but it can also cause them to gum up and cause some costly failures. I wouldn't want that scenario in my engine.

So what sthe cost of Amsoil?
  8. 1st Synthetics

PM on the way!
  9. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

Though I have not used Amsoil i have a great testimonial!!! I have a close friend that from the second oil change on and up until 345,000 miles used Amsoil. He never ever changed it, he changed filters and topped off and sent sample to Amsoil. He said in the long run it was the cheapest oil he ever bought as he added about 1-1/2 quarts when the filters were changed, the car was a Mercedes diesel. He said it never burned a drop and the oil pressure remained the same right up until he sold it.

Phil
  10. 1st Synthetics

Great, I am surprised you do not use AMSOIL after knowing that. AMSOIL is the proven best!