Best way to get louder???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by JOnNyAZ, Aug 7, 2008.

1. JOnNyAZ

JOnNyAZ New Member

Well ya'll, just finished installing my new exhaust on my I5 Colorado, its a Magnaflow and sounds pretty good goin down the road... It is not quite what I expected, but coming off an I5 I guess I didn't know really waht to expect. Anyways, I am planning on buying a K & N intake for it monday, but I don't think that will really get it any louder just more power / gas mileage... I am wondering though if anyone has tried having a muffler shop create a straight pipe from the exhaust manifold to the catback exhaust and thrown on a high flow cat or no cat period.. I think that would make some better sound and obviously power... Just curious if anyone has done it and how it turned out... Any other ideas to make my truck a little louder are welcome too... thanks.

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That intake probably will make it a little louder. When I installed my K&N, I definitely noticed more sound. That was before I had my exhaust, and our engines are quite different, but I would think it would make a little difference in sound.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I cant imagine that the I5 would sound good very loud, I just think of what the first viper rt 10 sounded like cuz the side pipes had no crossover, they sounded like crap, maybe GM has done some work with it but just my $0.02

4. 4x4_only

4x4_only Member

Cut the muffler off...it'd be loud then! I think vncj96 is right about the I5 not sounding great if it's too loud. I have the same opinion on six cylinders and these POS rice rockets and their coffee can sized exhaust tips. Again, just my opinion.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a 2.8 5spd 91 sonoma with just a glass pack and it sounded great!!! I think its just that "odd" number that sound goofy. and my 20 year old Z24 with a 2.8 sound pretty tough and not ricy, but it all depends on what you put on it.

6. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Just what did you expect from your new exhaust? What you have described is exactly what an I5 with a new exhaust sounds like. With your Magnaflow's new noise, you'll see a little more power or a little more MPG depending on the weight in your right shoe. I'm sorry to tell you, there is no way that a new exhaust is going make a noise that will have folks thinking you've replaced your I5 with a ZZ4, LS7 or just a standard SBC. It's an I5, and that what it gonna sound like. You can mess about, but at best, it's going to sound like a tuner I5.
    The GM engineers generally have "quiet" in mind when designing cars and trucks. It goes back to the early days when a quiet ride was a good indicator of a quality ride. With the advent of performance engine options, muscle and sports cars, some models were given a more aggressive exhaust note. It was a time when a strong sounding exhaust heralded a powerful engine. A loud sounding exhaust wasn't confused for a strong sounding exhaust.
    The same goes for the intake, the whoosh of wide open secondaries was as thrilling as the acceleration. No car guy can forget the mean hiss of an early mechanical fuel injection, it was unmistakable. Luxury cars remained pretty silent except at WOT. Hey, if you'd just installed a new 8-track tape player, you wanted to hear the tunes not your engine.
    I'm often amused to hear those with modern custom intakes talk about all the power they have just freed-up. Just listen to the whoosh, it sounds just like a wide open 4-barrel -- it must be much more powerful than OE. Well, there is real good chance all you've done with your custom intake is to remove the factory intake resonator. That whoosh has always been there, but GM engineers made it go away with that black plastic box. Remember, they think quiet equals quality. Before you shell out your hard earned dollars for a new intake, take a closer look at that plastic box. There's a good chance the inlet is a smaller than the exit. Enlarge it so it's a little bigger than the exit. You may be surprised by results from your "stealth" resonator modification.
    That being said... many years ago, when I was much younger and crazier, I took my brand new turbocharged Corvair Corsa to the muffler shop to have a glass-pac replace that quiet OE can to get a sportier sound. Yep, that OE can was the original "Turbo" muffler, to gain fame as possibily GM's best designs for a quiet, low restriction can. "Turbo" inspired imitations are still being used today.

7. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

if your going to go high flow cats you might want to think about getting lt headers as well. you want loud the put a set of cherry bombs on it. one thing to remember is putting an exhaust you will not get the power you want you need to do the intake also more air in more air out better performance. heres an example i have a 05 gto i first did the cat back it was ok then went lt headers and high flow cats. it got better then went with a intake the car sounds like a race car when you get on it and the performance it great. now it needs a tune. my truck is next but think about it.

8. JOnNyAZ

JOnNyAZ New Member

Arite, thanks for the suggestions, I'm not looking to get it to sound like a v8 I know that can't happen, just want a little more sound... and I also already looked for a new header, can't find em, don't think they make em...

9. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

jtr makes a header for one of these trucks, but not sure the exact app. dont wast the money on replacing your cats with high flows. most muffler shops will tell you that the cats on new cars and trucks are over kill any way and flow better than you think. i say if you can find it get the header and put a different muffler on it...flowmaster 40, flowsound (flowmaster knock-off), something of that nature. i had a 04 canyon with the 2.8 and i put a flowmaster origional 40 on it and it was almost to loud, but sounded great.

10. Maximous

Maximous Rockstar

install a system in the truck, then put a microphone in the exhuast pipe before the cats, then just drive around with the windows down blarring your radio!!! :party: