Best way to patch or fiberglass rust

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by erickirby12, Oct 29, 2013.

1. erickirby12

erickirby12 New Member

I was looking at my rocker panels and there is a rust spot that is about to make a hole but whhat is the best way to fix that before it happens

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

moved to maintenance & upkeep sub forum. changed title to make subject more clear.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How big are this rust areas? Small like a dime? Quarter? Larger?

There are a couple of ways to go about this. Everything from sanding and bondo to just covering it over with Diamond plate (I've got a buddy who that's all he would do...)

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you will need a cut off wheel tool . you cut out all the rusted metal . then get some galvanized sheet metal and make a patch to fit. using a rivet tool/drill install rivets to hold in place. then use fiberglass reinforced bondo to cover the area. grind down so you get is level / kinda smooth. then use regular bondo to get the surface very smooth no pin holes. then prime/paint.

with rust coming thru the rocker you will have a good amount of metal to be replaced probably a 4 in X 12 inch section ...

5. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Your best bet is to cut out the rusted material, cut a patch of sheet metal the same size and weld it in. You then grind down the welds and finish with as little bondo as possible. A good body man can do it without using any bondo. Then epoxy prime and paint.

A quick fix is to grind the spot a bit, dent it in a little and fill it with short strand fiberglass, sand, prime and paint....

Depends on how long you want it to last