Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Best way to tow home OLD boat trailer and boat

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Smoker_98, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Smoker_98

Smoker_98 New Member

This is an old family boat and trailer that has sat in the barn for over a decade. I was thinking strapping the boat and old boat trailer to a single car trailer for the ride home ~650 miles. I think that option would outweigh trying to replace/fix all the issues (bearings, wiring, tires) on the old boat trailer. Truck is an 03 Z71 with a tune. Thoughts?

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you can strap it securely to the car trailer, there is nothing wrong with that option... as long as the weight of the boat, trailer, and car trailer is within your rated tow weight. Your engine should be fine to pull it - just be easy on your transmission. It has been recommended to me to use 3rd gear instead of drive while towing to be easier on the transmission in GM trucks, but I don't do that because with the 4.10 gears in my truck it can be over 3,000 rpm on the highway in 3rd and I really don't like that.

On the other hand, if you plan on using the boat then you will probably need to fix the trailer at some point anyway, so you could look at it as just getting it done sooner if you have the time & funds to do the work when you go to pick it up.

3. Smoker_98

Smoker_98 New Member

3.73s in my Z71, and the boat and trailer are light. Just an old fiberglass 16ft jon boat.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2...on what pmf608 has mentioned above.....Also I Tow a Boat, and I have 3.73's.....and I Tow in 3rd and then used the Tow Haul feature when.....in City Stop-n-Go Traffic.....entering onto the Freeway/Highway and when going up Hills/Inclines........Towing in 3rd Gear will also Depend on what Size your Tires are (Overall Diameter)...??

5. Smoker_98

Smoker_98 New Member

Well I am on stock wheels/tires. With my 3.73s I am right at 2000 rpm at 69mph, where I usually cruise.