Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best way to undercoat a truck frame?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Crispyt, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

I would like to clean up and undercoat my trucks frame with a bed liner or a ruberized undercoating. My trucks frame is pretty rusty all around so im wondering what would be the best way to clean it up and undercoat it with. Keep in mind that ill be doing this with the body and everything still bolted on. Should I use a wirewheel to clean up the rust that I can reach and possably a rust reformer to spray on the parts of the frame I can't reach to sand?

Thanks for your time and help all!
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

IMHO, I'd try to unbolt and take off as much as possible underneath to get nearly everything. I would take the bed off and drop the tank (safety and more coverage) which is not that hard if you have some help (a few willing friends) and try and get all that frame de rusted and coated. Under the cab I'd unbolt some things that might get in the way like exhaust and anything you don't want coated. I'd use sandpaper and even a wire wheel in bigger places. Hell just for giggles, I'd even coat the fender wells on the inside since the front 2 are already black from the lining.

As for the coating, I think it depends on what your truck is put through (mud, gravel, etc.) to determine the best coating as one is more durable than the other in terms of peeling.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With where you live You would be doing a TON of sanding..If you have the time and funds strip the whole frame and get it Soda or sand blasted..it's the only way to get it all down to bear metal...
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I went at mine with a high pressure, high temp. steam blaster. got it down to bare mettal pretty well....... where i could easilly reach...

the axle... still looks pretty damn crusty... but you need to lay down to see that.

all the frame and suspention you can see from the street, i just blasted and then rattle canned. looks good enough for me, but when im under the truck im still reminded that "oh yeah, i bought this is SALT lake city UT"...

the only way to get it NICE is to restore the truck and start taking things off. but its a truck, so first glace is good enough.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Eastwood sells some pretty good products. Since I do not have access to a sand blaster I went that route. I used their rust dissolver (gel). Spray on, scrub, let sit over night, and rinse off the next day. Then I sprayed on their rust converter, letting it cure before I added a second coat. Then I sprayed on their rust encapsulator, letting it cure. Then I sprayed on their chassis black. I may use a rubberized undercoating before winter to give it that extra protection. All and all the kit and the rust dissolver cost like $400. Great products