1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Zombie Vehicle? What would you drive in a zombie Apocalypse? The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Mar 23, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm all caught up on the walking dead, but i find it curious to see the different vehicles they're driving on the show.

got me thinking, what type of vehicle would i want in a zombie apocalypse? Big lifted 4wd truck, fuel efficient and quiet car? Maybe it depends if I've got a base or if was still on the run.

What would you want as your zombie vehicle of choice?

zombie-apocalypse-car.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

400-500CC 4x4 EFI ATV w/ mud tires, rigid dually d2 offroad lights, rifle/shotgun scabbard, and a winch...

Reasons:

• It can go places a car/truck can't.
    • It can do it day or night due to aftermarket lighting.
    • It can be put in the back of a truck and be transported across large distances at higher speeds (assuming fuel is plentiful) with relative ease
    • It's easier to store and/or conceal than a car/truck.
    • It's fuel efficient by nature of its small engine size.
    • It's not as fast as a bigger ATV but has a better turn radius and consumes less fuel than a bigger ATV.
    • It can carry one person and all essential survival gear ... or two people and a little bit of gear.
    • It's relatively easy to work on.
    • If you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse then you have appropriate gear for being in the rain, cold, etc., so exposure to the elements should be a non-issue.
    • It's not intended to be a home or place of refuge; it's pure transportation. Again, if you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse you've already figured out your approach to shelter and it likely does NOT involve camping in a car.
    • Open riding allows a shotgun or other firearm to be easily used from the riding platform, without obstruction due to windshields, A/B pillars, etc.
    • Rifle/shotgun scabbard protects the firearm from the elements while keeping it ready for immediate use.
    • It can be as quiet or loud as you want it to be -- just mod the exhaust system to taste.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Bigfoot Monster truck, with 2 50 caliber machine guns in the bed on turrets.

[​IMG]
  5. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member 100 Posts

id want an early 80s pickup for the bigginning. fuel will be plentiful for a little while so it shouldn't be too bad. upfit it with a rugged brushgard on front, modified steel tube rear bumper. id want some 17" wheels so replacement tires are easy to come by from almost any abandoned vehicle. probably a manual trans would be the best, one less fluid that could be lost when a thin pan gets punctured or cooler lines get ripped. probably would reinforce the windows with wiring fencing. add a cap and bust out the rear window in the cab to have access to rear bed.

why not a suburban? well because those things are boats. good offroad tires wont be a dime a dozen so i could see a 4x4 burb getting stuck more then a 4x4 truck. plus most burbs are autos that i know of. keeping with the light mods keeps it mobile, and still fuel efficient for what it is.

the goal would be to find a place to fortify soon because fuel is going to be used up/spoiled in probably a year unless you have the resorces IMO. my goal would be to live on the coast and then most traveling oculd be done by boat (sail or paddle).
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm thinking that in the beginning of such an outbreak, I would hope that I could have the presence of mind to get some survivalist type supplies and stuff together that would allow us to get through the first days of confusion. After that, this is what I think I could get through it and be an long-term survivor.

First Wave (Days into Weeks) - Traverse should be just fine
    My traverse should be fine to go out and get weapons & ammo, gather up and store MREs and a lot of jugs of water. That would be the number one issue, I could envision needing upwards of 200+ gallons of water just to get through the first wave. During this time we would have to figure out if this thing would blow over and if the government (which we all know the answer) could get it's act together and provide some answers.

2013-Chevrolet-Traverse.jpg

Second Wave (Weeks into Months) - 4WD Suburban with tow package and 4WD Subaru Wagon
    Once reality sets in that this is going to be a long-term deal, I figured that I would need a couple of different things. While looking for that farm or prison that would provide a lot more security, there would have to be a minimal amount of driving to keep noise levels down and keep fuel reserves in supply. I figure that if the weather was good (no mud, no snow) then a larger 4WD truck or suburban would give me the ability to have a lot of storage and towing capacity, I would probably want a trailer once I found a bunch of supplies that I wanted to bring back.

F60168.jpg

However, before that I assume there would have to be scouting missions that would have to be quieter, that's where the Subaru would come in handy. I know from my days up in the mountains that those things run like crazy, they sometimes lack power, but they have excellent light off-road abilities and should the roads prove to be littered with debris, then a small excursion into a muddy trail would be best traveled over with one of these vehicles first.

2010-Subaru-Outback-4WD.jpg

Third Wave (Months into Years) - Diesel full-sized Trucks, Armored Transport Vehicle Diesel Supply Tanker Semi Truck
    So, should this thing be the real deal for years, then at some point I would want to move somewhere with the best combination of weather, topography, farming, ranching, etc. For me, that might be somewhere out west a bit more, where the population is already a bit on the light-side, but with good infrastructure, defensive land positions, etc. I'd have to figure out where the oil refineries are, I'd want to be within a short drive from at least one of them and especially if some diesel tanks could found as I think that diesel would be the best long-term solution. I could see a small group driving across the country in a couple of full-size Duramax diesel trucks with at least one armored truck and a diesel tanker truck in there as well.

HQ_640.jpg

American_Armored_Car.jpg

Fuel-tank-semi-trailers.jpg
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's everyone's plan. As a result, the time to gather such things is BEFORE such an event. The zombie apocalypse is a euphemism for things like Hurricane Katrina, typhoons that wreck entire cities (think Japan), massive power outages (think solar flares that have downed the grid in New England), earthquakes (think the 1906 quake that leveled San Francisco), etc.

During such events unprepared survivors ALL scramble for resources to get through the confusion ... which means a run on pharmacies, sporting good stores, grocery stores, etc -- assuming they're even standing. Chance favors the prepared mind ... and people with a plan to react to the event rather than prepare in advance for it are at a disadvantage.

I'm no nutter end of the world type events of destruction, but I lived in Austin, TX when Katrina hit ... and 400+ miles from where Katrina made landfall I noticed that there were no batteries, bread, or water on the shelves of the grocery stores local to me. Who bought them all? People who came inland to get out of Katrina's path.

I learned a valuable lesson from that and, afterward, did my own prep. Also consider that if everyone had 5 days of food and water (per person) on hand where Katrina made landfall ... FEMA's sluggishness would have been irrelevant.

A little bit of prep goes a long, long way...
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Personally my family is fairly prepared in both houses we own. We have much more supplies in Vermont because the house is isolated. Our goal would to be get to the Vermont house and stay there where we are far from urban areas and have some locals near us that own farms. Out VT house also has a generator that with a full tank of 200lbs of propane can last weeks maybe even a month running hot water, well and fridge. we then would need to find 20 lb tanks to keep it going. Most likely my Tahoe and my moms Subaru would being our vehicle with the small forester eventually becoming useless and the more easy to fix and find parts for Tahoe being the main vehicle for travel. Until all reg gas becomes bad Tahoe will be very useful.(1-2 years)

Long term would be neighbors diesel truck.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

me? id find a old multifuel 6x6 army truck. mpg might be crap, but they go most anyplace, burn almost anything, and are super tough. that would be the long term plan for when fuel is a pain to find.

immediate? get some extra fuel and bug out to my parents place in minnesota.

Alex
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Gotta say I'll stick with the 8x8 Argo.. Anywhere Land or Water....:great: