Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Better MPG?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kwaldeier, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kwaldeier

kwaldeier New Member

I have an 07 Chevy silverado that gets 11 city and 15 highway. I am looking to upgrade whatever I need so that it can get 20 highway. I travel 40 miles a day hwy for work and I am looking to save a little bit. Every extra mile per gallon adds up!!! Everything on the truck is stock. Thanks for any help!

2. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There are many configurations of an 07 Silverado. Crew cab long bed, short bed, extended cab, regular cab... What size engine? Is it a 1500, 2500 or 3500? What transmission? What is the gear ratio? Is it 2 wheel drive? 4 wheel drive? All wheel drive? How many miles does the engine have on it. Over time, engines wear and lose effiency.

A Silverado crew cab long bed 3500 series 4x4 truck would be stretching to get the numbers you are getting, while a regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive V6 5 speed will get the numbers you want out of the box. Maybe even more.

Then there's condition. When is the last time it was tuned up? What size/condition are the tires in? Are they properly inflated? How heavy is the boot that presses the long shinny pedal. Driving habits have more to do with fuel economy than any other factor.

What fuel do you use? Is it 10% ethanol? That alone will cost you economy.

There is no magical modification that will turn your truck into a Prius. It is pretty much what it is within a small margin of a percent or two.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

To sum it all up, here is what I have found:
    - in the '07 and newer trucks, the 5.3 gets better mileage than the 4.8
    - the 2 wd trucks give better mpg than 4x4
    - a tire with low rolling resistance uses less hp to get down the road (no aggressive thread and air just a bit above recommended psi)
    - proper wheel alignment.
    - no dragging brake pads, or shoes.
    - use synthetic oil in the diffs and in the engine.
    - keep your foot out of it, just apply even pedal, no more than is required (pretend there is a full glass of water on the dash).

Oh, and one more thing...................... most drivers lie :rofl:

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

And so does the Driver Information Center or DIC on newer models. But its close:gasp:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. RayVoy

Consider this:
    I live on a hill, lower part of driveway is very steep. Yesterday, I backed into the driveway and parked on the steep part (gas was low, but notifier not on). This morning, the fuel had drained to the front of the tank and the low fuel alarm came on when I started the truck, I drove to the street and turned onto the street which is level, stopped to talk to my neighbour and turned off the truck. When I turned the truck on again, the notifier was off.

Not an unusual situation; but did the PCM/DIC think I added gas?

When I drove home, the DIC would have a sig telling what gas was in the tank (level streets).
    Overnight, the gas would have moved to the front of the tank slowly getting past the baffles.
    When I started it this morning, the DIC would read almost no gas, would it have assumed I consumed the difference?
    After sitting, the DIC sees gas in the tank, not much, but would it assume I added fuel?

While typing, I'm thinking about the temp gauge (at least the one with the auto HVAC), it does not react instantaneously, it has a number on conditions that must be considered before it lets the temp change to the actual outside temp, the gas level is probably the same. It may tell me the fuel is low, but not input the level reading until I have driven a little distance. Hmmmm.

7. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You are giving the DIC FAR too much credit. It doesn't have the ability reason things out such as fuel consumption versus miles driven. It shows only what the sensors tell it to show. If your sending unit is sending out a signal that is below a pre-programmed value, then the DIC comes on to tell you whatever the message is that it is supposed to show you when that particular condition exists. the on board computer doesn't give any thought to how the fuel levels ended up where they are. Similarly, when it sees a higher level of fuel, it doesn't reason that someone must have added some. It just shows you what it sees based on sensor input. It doesn't relate the fact that the fuel level dropped off by 20 gallons in a two mile span.

In layman's terms... It just ain't that smart.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Mine is within 1/4 MPG every time I do it the old fashioned way. That's pretty darn close.

9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

My tuner seems to be more right on the money with the actual mpg. Mine is off by usually 2 mpg but has been as little as 1 mpg.

10. RayVoy

Hey, I know that...............however, it does display what the PCM tells it to display along with any data it stores, and one, or both, modules keep a pretty close record of the gals consumed.

I was just thinking out loud, wondering what happens in their little memory chips when the gas level sensor tells them the gas level has changed.
    I would need the programing logic and parms to see what the GM designers built.