better performance

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Silveradogearhead, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Silveradogearhead

Silveradogearhead New Member

just looking for tips on how to get better fuel milage if there are any tricks or websites to visit any help would be great don't mind spending some cash either

2. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

Do a tuneup plugs, wires, fuel filter. Check for any vacuum leaks. Buy a programmer like a hypertech or predator, buy a cold air intake, buy exhaust, maybe an aftermarket mass airflow sensor.

3. wigwag78

wigwag78 New Member

electric fans will help too.

4. Silveradogearhead

it already comes stock with electric fans but thanks for the info there. the predator how much does that normally run

5. mjalstad

I got mine on ebay for $190

6. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

I would spend the extra 50-75 and get a custom tune from blackbear performance. Programmers are good but only go so far.

7. Silveradogearhead

awesome well thanks for the help so far more input would be great black bear never herd of the company mind you i live in canada so it's a states company probably why i haven't herd of it

8. mjalstad

I don't understand why everybody here is so into nelson and blackbear. Yes, that would be a great option if you drove your truck to them and they custom dyno tuned for your specific truck but sending them your pcm and having them retune it is the same exact thing as a programmer. With the predator, you can at least change things such as your timing and fuel injector curve specific to your vehicle. Every vehicle runs a little different so nelson may have dyno tuned 1 truck similar to yours but it's not the same truck as yours since your engine may have worn differently, your fuel pump may not be as strong, your injectors may not be the same, etc.

9. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

Blackbear travels and sets up group tuning where he data logs and tunes your vehicle. Lucky for me he is local. Also blackbear will send you tha cable and everything to log your truck. you then send it back and he does your tune specific for you. Programmers can't mess with the TCM and that is another reason for a custom tune. Any updates you want after that are free. Plus the software he uses is coming out with their own handheld where you will be able to have multiple cutom tunes to do whatever you want with.

10. mjalstad

Logging and tuning your vehicle is the best you can do, and that is somethign I would recommend if you are local. That's cool that they will let you log your vehicle and then they do a specific tune for you, I have never heard of that and that is pretty neat, but you can't tune a vehicle properly with just one tune. True, that is probably going to be better than a Hypertech where all you can choose is "tune" or "no tune". But in order to get a vehicle correct, you have to tweak the tune multiple times. This would probably work ok if you have a new stock truck that is not that far off of where it should be, but if you have an older truck with a lot of modifications, it's going to take a lot more. Trust me, my last vehicle was a highly modified Grand Prix GTP that I converted to E85 and I did all of the tuning on it.

Also, if you use the predator, you can view and log real time data. Then you can tweak your tune and log again, tweak, and log, etc. This is the reason I bought the Predator for my truck instead of the Hypertech. The predator also has torque management settings that you can play with. Also, I bought my predator for $200 on ebay, simply plugged it in (didn't have to mess with removing my PCM twice), and when I sell my truck I can sell the predator on ebay for $200 again, and in the mean time I can use my predator to read and clear DTCs and view real time data to diagnose any problems that may occur.

I sometimes get the feeling that nelson and blackbear have employees on this forum that pretend to be regular people that are simply advertising, which would probably be a pretty good marketing scheme.