1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Better starting & less problems!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FireRed, May 21, 2008.

1. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

I know many do not realize the right way to start fuel injection engines, I can see a few scratching their heads at that remark. I see it day in and day out, jump in hit the key and go right!!! Wrong your are dealing with a system that must have initial pressurization, follow a simple tip and it will start quicker and reduce starter wear. When you get behind the wheel turn the key to the on position you will hear the fuel pump come on, wait the 3-5 seconds for the sound to stop then hit the starter. Your starts will be far more instantaneous and you will have far less starter wear. My sub has 144,000 on it with very mixed driving here on Long Island. My starter after 137,000 started acting up, I pulled expecting it to be toast! I took it to a buddies shop and pulled it apart, to my amazement it did not even need brushes. A new solenoid a shot on the test bench and I put it back in the truck, still in disbelief I called the original owner and asked it he had ever done a starter NOPE! But he also being a mechanic like myself followed the same start up technique, we both basically proved beyond our doubts it works! I have taught this to most of my friends I felt I would share it up here.

Phil
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I used to do "that" on diesels, but not on gas engines. Makes sense though.
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Totally agreed! I have always used this practice on anything fuel injected either gas or diesel! I always preach to my wife and kids of the importance as well. Thanks for bringing it up!
  4. travisn

travisn New Member

um, anyone ever try to disconnect a fuel line with out de-pressurizing it? it makes a huge mess. there are certain check valves that hold pressure for a day or 3, i doubt this is necessary. and on diesels you do it to warm the glow plugs, not to pressurize the system.
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That was the only reason I waited to start the diesel (glow plugs).
  6. zippy

zippy Member 100 Posts

Thanks for the reminder! :great:
  7. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

i must be lucky then --i just past 335,000 miles and it is the original starter. i wait in a diesel to allow the glow plugs to get hot to start it but the gas i barly turn the key and she is running if you got a bad check valve then yours will drain back into the lowest point in the system and the few sec to prim will be needed for a fast start. where people go wrong is start and dump into gear and go.........efi does not mean it does not need a startup wait. the oil does drain out of the top end and you want to warm the motor evenly to last a long time. i hoping for 400,000 plus miles before i need a motor swap. just put a new set of wheels on her.....mike