1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beware surban owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mercedesdoc, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

I own a 2001 yukon that I bought in 2006 from GMC dealership. This truck is mint condition, I bought it as it was a trade in from the original owner who bought it from the same selling dealership. I have had nothing but good times with this truck for me and my wife and 3 kids. I have kept this truck in mint condition, washed and waxed regualry, 20' wheels, hid lights, upgraded the sound system.

Well about 2 months ago we took a trip to orlando to visit the inlaws, it about a 3 hour drive for us. As w ewhere driving I started to notice the kids having a slight cough (kids ages 5,3, 1 1/2) so we get to the inlaws and my mother in law is all over my case as to why we came up when the kids are sick and coughing, we explained that we where fine before we left. So thinking maybe I need to replace the a/c cabin and clean out the evaperator i went ahead and did that. Although I keep this truck well maintaned and always replace filter every 5-7000 miles.

Well come to find out that the roof rack on my truck has created rust holes on the roof, water has eneterd the truck and just soaked the carpets causing mildew and mold explaining the coughing and getting sick. I had removed the roof rack and was devestated by the damage. This is truly a factory defect, the steel nuts that secure the roof rack to the roof just rusted away causing quater size holes in the roof.

I have spoken to GMC who claim that this truck is to old and out of warranty, they do not want to hear about it and told me that casue I live in south florida it rains salt water, the they also say cause my truck is nt garaged kept. Can you beleive this ****? At first they told me to take it to a dealership to have it diagnosed, the dealership manger could not beleive the damage and even said what a well taked care of truck, he clearly stated this was due to the roof rack, besides my 5 year old son can tell you that. But GMC continues to deny my claim, the roof is so damaged that it needs replacment at a sum of 3,000. let alone all the damage to the carpets and fuse box as well as he abs module.

Wouldnt you think a truck would last more that 8 years, and lookn at the rust it is clear that this has been rusting for years, but do to it being hidden on the roof rack i couldnt see it. I am urging you to unscrew you roof rack with a t-30 torx and ispect for rust before you run out f the 6 year or 100,000 miles warranty, cause these trucks clearly wont last any longer. It is funny how my 95 yukon that I bought 4 years ago from a gilr from detroit has no rust. Yet my 2001 is rotting away, I guess that is a prime example of saying I guess they dont build them like they use to.

I am enclosing some pics so you can see the damage and you can clearly see where the rust began, also note the shine on my roof. When I wash and wax i even get the roof. this is incredible how GMC will not do anything about it, you would think that they wouldnt want this to get out, yet they denied me. they tell me its time i take responsibility for my own truck. I am warning other gm owners to just ck and ake sure your truck is ok.

Heree is acopy of the GMC warranty right off of their website, note how they do not recomend any rust-inhabiting material, when i questioned Mr frank Anderson (GM district specailist) He told me well gmc also doesnt recomend you drive your truck off of a cliff.

Covered for six years/100,000 miles*

Corrosion Protection

GMC vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your GMC dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

Guys and gals, tell me what you think, is this fair? I cant afford to just go out and buy another suv. I cant afford to just dump thousands into this truck due to a factory defect. What would you do???? [​IMG][​IMG] Quote:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

moderators note: Ok, this was a cut and paste nightmare with some of your local files listed in there too... was it a duplicate from this site?
  3. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

yes it was. As I am trying to reach out to suburban owners as well as Yukon owners. As these truck are all the same and use the same material.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, but that's unreadable, just post a link to the first post in the other forum...
  5. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member 100 Posts

I kind got the gist of it. I'm no mechanic but the problem seems like the roof may need to have the rust sanded off and then compounded down. Your choice on how you want to paint it.
  6. IrishBrewer

IrishBrewer New Member

My question to the dealer would be that if it is not a manufacturing defect, then why is one of the roof rack connection points in pristene condition while the other is totally gone? Clearly both of them were exposed to the same elements (same salt rain, exposure to the outdoors, etc.).
  7. kbuss

kbuss New Member

i have an 03 suburban with 120000 miles on it and have no such problem. i dont know what to tell you
  8. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

Maybe one side wasn't tightened down? Is there a gasket of some sort? I can only think something maybe was just slightly out of place that allowed the water to have a spot to attack the metal. If there was even something small, I imagine over time it just wore thru, creating an even larger area for possible corrosion. Being hidden under the roof rack I don't know how you would notice unless you unscrewed it for cleaning or maintenance.

Having visited Florida, depending on where you are, it seems sea water does mist all over the cars. I can see why GM would take that stance. The metal is treated, so I don't think it is a manufacturing defect, but probably an assembly error. Or who knows. It seems you are not the original owner, so the defect or problem could have started before you purchased it.

Considering the costs of purchasing a similar vehicle. I hate to say it, but I would clean up the area best I could, remove as much rust as possible, re-attach the roof rack and sell it. Go find another. This is such a weird problem I would guess you were just the unlucky recipient. I'll bet the problem was evident before you took ownership. Go find another truck, and let this one become someone else's problem.
    ------
    Edit,
    I notice the mention the sound system and lights. Swap all the original OE equipment back, yank your stereo then trade it.

I think it is the best way to get out of this lemon. Personally I wouldn't sell it private. Trade it in and let it become a dealer headache. If you do that, and find another Burb, the cost difference will be considerably less than repairing this damage.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  9. IrishBrewer

IrishBrewer New Member

I don't know how much of the damage you are referring to is on the interior but the roof shouldn't be that hard to fix. Just needs to be cut out and re-welded with a lug for the roof rack. The appearance after priming and painting would not have to be perfect, just good enough to seal up properly so you don't have the problem again. Nobody ever sees the top of your roof.
  10. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny New Member

I would be really upset too, but stuff like that happens all of the time on random vehicles. It could have been any number of things that caused the rust out in that one area. I have a Bronco and they were all known to rust out at the bottom of the tail gate... it doesn't mean Ford has to replace all of the tail gates, even though there is obviously a design flaw there for water to escape properly. I would write it off to unforeseen crap that happens during vehicle ownership. Sometimes motors blow up prematurely, sometimes they go for 400,000 miles. Sometimes tires blow out, sometimes they go and go. Sometimes the body is immaculate forever, sometimes they rust out. If GM had to fix any random crap like this they'd be force to file bankruptcy...oh wait :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.