Bigger tires - adjusting the speedo and tranny shift points

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by McClintoc, Mar 24, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

How does one go about reprogramming their speedometer and transmission shift points after they have installed larger tires? I need to do this to my truck.

Are both of those something any automotive shop can do? Can they be done together or are they separate tasks? Is it part of a custom tune? Can you DIY?
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

some tuners can do it, anyone with a higher end code reader should be able to as well.

i know my diablo intune can, as can hypertech units.

Alex
  3. McClintoc

So I should be looking for a high-end code reader? I'm fine with doing it myself, I just need to know what tool to use. I have been thinking about having a code reader on-hand and one that will also adjust the speedo and tranny shift points would be perfect.
  4. McClintoc

I just did a little research on the Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer (#32500). Only thing is, it has mediocre reviews. It works for some people and does basically nothing for others. Although, my take on that is, for those that left bad reviews for it, they probably didn't fully know what they were doing. Anyways, does anyone around here have actual experience with the Hypertech unit? It does everything I am looking for so I am very interested in it; just concerned about the mixed reviews.

EDIT: I just found a DiabloSport Predator on sale for almost half the price of the Hypertech and it does all the same things. Anyone have any experience with the Predator?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

maybe @06MonteSS can tell you more about it.
  6. McClintoc

Well, I just found a Superchips Flashpaq that will do all the things I am looking for. Basically, the Hypertech, DiabloSport and Superchips units do all the same stuff. I guess it just comes down to price. However, the Superchips unit seems to have more reviews and most of those reviews are favorable. It's priced between the Hypertech and Diablo units I have found. The Daiblo is the cheapest (currently it's on sale for $199) but it does not come with a USB cable and there are a lot of old threads on several truck forums talking about how the Predator unit has been phased out. I think I'll get the Superchips Flashpaq. I feel good with the reviews I have seen and it does come with a USB cable.
  7. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

I have the PPE diesel economy tuner and does all that stuff. Same with the bully dog gt tuner which can be for gasoline engine. Almost any tuner now will also pull engine codes. Look up youtube videos on people using their tuners and go from there. That's how I decided what kind of tuner I wanted to get.
  8. McClintoc

[MENTION=62408]05DuramaxLLY[/MENTION] Thanks for the reply but I went ahead and got the Superchips Flashpaq. It had the most and the best reviews of the three I was looking at and it was priced in the middle of the three so I jumped on it.
  9. squatchy

squatchy New Member

Shoulda been on the ball and you coulda got a blackbear in person tune in fort worth this weekend. That would beat any of those hand helds.
  10. McClintoc

At what price, though? Also, keep in mind, I wasn't looking for a tune. I was looking for an all-in-one device mainly for speedo/tranny adjustments and OBD II reading.
  11. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

Very nice! I hope that one works well for you! Congrats on getting it.