1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bigger tires or paint it black?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Hi, I have a white 08 Crew Cab LS with 17" wheels on it and I want to do something about the fender wells. It really bugs me because all I can see is little tires and a whole lot of white!! I thought about if I spray some black undercoating or just flat black paint it may look better which would be cheaper or maybe go up to 20" rims and tires...but that would cost some big bucks and could make the tranny shift to often from drive to OD like it did my old 94.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  2. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

You could always buy some fender liners. GM sells them but maybe you could get them from rockauto cheaper or something.
  3. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Thanks, that's a great suggestion I haven't thought about. Maybe some others with white trucks on this body style wil chime in. :great:
  4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I do not have fender liners on my truck but have definitely considered them. I would do the liners before painting the fenders. I would suggest doing the liners and the bigger wheels/tires to fill in the fender. But I never really like the height of the fenders on the NNBS, because like you said the wheel doesnt really fill in the fender.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my white 2000 siL has the wheel wells painted with a brush on rust proofing sound reduction product. this is called rusfre comes in a gallon container about 20.00 . you can do 3 vehicles . I have found this to be the best product out there, flexible and sticks good .easy clean up just some mineral spirits paint thinner. thin product before use. thin coats work and are better. I did 3 coats .

I got at my local body shop supplier. also internet it is available. product is stable. lasts in the metal container for years ..

no rust where I used this. the spray cans are poor quality. product cracks and is too brittle after a few years.
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

My old 2008 LT had factory 17" rims and I ended up putting 20s on it. I had to get a Hyperytech module to tell the computer how tall the new tires were.

While some flat black spray paint would be cheaper, it would wear off quickly. You can get some wheel well liners for that truck for not too much.

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Fender-Flares-Trim/Rugged-Rear-Wheel-Well-Inner-Liners

Now if you could get your wheel wells done up with that spray in bed liner stuff, that should last.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x3 on liners...
  8. 84thProblem

84thProblem New Member

Every time I'm walking home from the mail box, coming up on my red '04 Silverado LS, all I see is the frame rails and inner fenders on the bed. Been thinking of painting / using some sort of bed liner / under caot in there ...
  9. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I think I'll go with the liners. If I put on 20" wheels, what does a Hyperytech module cost?

Thanks
  10. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I vote for the liners also or just get a black truck next time :D
    IMG00696.jpg