Biggest POS car/truck ever made.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by stchman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I gotta admit-the ORIGINAL LAND ROVER
    the one that was in White Hunter and those nature shows
    It was Freakin Cool-
    I think it had an aluminum body-for rust reasons
    No doubt it had POS-Lucas electrics- but those old shows-you guys are too young "Rhodes Reason in White Hunter" were cool
    Current Rovers -POS QC
    and yeah young guy next door bought a 2000 BMW- cheap-$5000 or so-
    he has dumped cubic $$ in it so far-just minor stuff-but maybe $4000 and counting
    Yeah-fixing BMW MB AUDI- forget it-once they are 10 years old-
    almost not worth repairing they are so expensive to repair

Le Car-wow I hadn't heard that name in years?? Actually a LeCar club?? ha,ha need a club to keep those POS running!!
    What next a YUGO fan club?? That was thought to be a POS- never knew anyone who owned one

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

A buddy of mine owns an auto repair shop and he HATES European cars. He'll take their money and work on them, but he said he'd never own one.

He told me a story how a guy came into his shop wanting some coil packs and spark plugs changed on his Mercedes 12 cylinder. The Mercedes dealer wanted $8K for the job!!!!!!!! WTF, I shudder at how much if that car needed a new engine. My buddy said he'd do it for $3800 and the guy JUMPED for joy.

I could probably put a new crate engine in my truck for $3800 (labor included).

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

When the RR first came to the US ( The newer ones) The dealers did NOT repair them.. They REPLACED them.. No Lie.....

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Replacing a car instead of fixing it does not sound very cost effective.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It was easier No one know how to fix them...

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When stationed in a foreign country with the military you normally dont have much choice about what brand vehicle to buy, if I was in the U.S. theres very few European vehicles Id buy.
    But unfortunately I spent most of my 22 yr career in Europe, Mediterranian theater, and the middle east, American mfg vehicles for sale were few and far between and normally went for a premium, so I bought regionally manufactured and learned to appreciate the us regulations.
    Overseas American vehicles are prefered but expensive, German and Swedish come in next, Rover heavy trucks are popular but the light duty and suv class trucks are for people with to much money that care more for leather and real wood than reliability.
    We whine about getting 150 to 200k on a vehicle, they have very few vehicles in Europe that can achieve that. In Japan the Govt. takes vehicles off the road when they get btwn 30 and 50k so np one knows how long they would really last.

7. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

To be fair, the Range Rover is British, but the Land Rover was a Toyota product. I had a high school buddy that took a Land Rover and put a Chevy engine into it. Ran it hard for years after that.

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure
    but I thought the Land Cruiser was the Toyota take on the British Land Rover
    I could have that backwards-they-Toyota intentionally used a name that was derivative- it was pretty decent vehicle I think
    I remember looking-with dad-at the Toyota version mid 1960's
    Yeah Land Rover= Brit
    Land Cruiser = japanese
    or maybe backwards

9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

As far as the biggest POS ive owned unfortunately would have to be my 03 Escalade ext. Nothing but problems with this truck. Almost made me steer away from GM after being a GM guy my whole life. I would be lucky right now to get $7k with 91k miles for the truck because of its issues with stability control, brake system issues, engine light on, third brake light out and tachometer not working. Drivers heated seat element bad and this doesnt include the thousands put into it while I owned it for 7 years. POS!!!!!

10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i know im not alone on this, but I will never own a grand am again. biggest POS i ever owned.

Alex