Biggest tire size for stock 1999 suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by '99Suburban, Aug 2, 2012.

1. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

I was wondering if anyone else knew what the biggest size tire I could put on the Burban without rubbing on anything. I think the stock 245's are too small for that big gap in there. Thanks

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Usual answer I see for OBS trucks is about a 33 inch nominal tire. So maybe a 33x12.5 or a 285/75/16 or similar. A few do report needing to trim a little bit to prevent rubbing, so if you are absolutely opposed to any rubbing, you might want to settle for 32 inch nominal tires.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

285/75 which is a 33 would probably fit with a bit of torsion cranking needed

265/75 which is stock for 99-07 Z71s are 32 and would fit with no problems

4. Suburby

Suburby New Member

I have a 96 and I currently have 31x10.5-15 MT tires. They fit nicely, but if you hit a dip in the road, or go over RR tracks that are molded into a hump in the road, they do rub a bit when the suspension compresses. For normal driving, they are great. They look good, they dont rub, and I honestly wouldnt go much bigger. This, of course, is assuming that you are driving a sub with the same body style as mine. 99 is the year where they switched the body style half way through the year.

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2000 silverado and 265/70R16's are the biggest I can go with out a leveling kit on the front. I have been wanting to go to 285's. The 265's are a huge improvement over the 245's I use to have.

6. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

Alright, I think I'm gonna try 285's so when i get my 3 in. lift (hopefully soon) I'll be all set.
    Thanks y'all

7. USMC_tank

USMC_tank New Member

okay whats the best 3 inch lift for a 99 burban? i just got mine and its sitting a pretty decent hieght off the ground but its because it doesnt have the steps so it looks higher, im rolling on 245/75R16, so i wanna roll 285-305
    so what would be best 3 inch lift and would it be better to actually have someone else install it or could i do it myself

8. AnCap

AnCap New Member

I have 285/75/16's on mine with a 2 inch lift and to be honest they look to skinny and short...what can I do for them?Also why would the tire be rubbing? It wasn't when I bought the vehicle but now I can see where the rim rubs an arm under neath the truck...its behind the tire and everything...I think I need something replaced because it seems to turn to far it only rubs when I turn it so far.

9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

31.7 or 265/75/16 is the largest you can fit without a lift or leveling kit if your wheels are 16" an OE offset. If you install a level kit with the above wheel setup, you can safely run a 285/75/16 or equivalent height tire. A more negative offset may require a bumper/valance trim around the corner.

10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Have you had the truck aligned? My buddies 99 2500 did this as well until he had the alignment corrected