Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Biggest tire size for stock 1999 suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by '99Suburban, Aug 2, 2012.

1. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

I was wondering if anyone else knew what the biggest size tire I could put on the Burban without rubbing on anything. I think the stock 245's are too small for that big gap in there. Thanks

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Usual answer I see for OBS trucks is about a 33 inch nominal tire. So maybe a 33x12.5 or a 285/75/16 or similar. A few do report needing to trim a little bit to prevent rubbing, so if you are absolutely opposed to any rubbing, you might want to settle for 32 inch nominal tires.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

285/75 which is a 33 would probably fit with a bit of torsion cranking needed

265/75 which is stock for 99-07 Z71s are 32 and would fit with no problems

4. Suburby

Suburby New Member

I have a 96 and I currently have 31x10.5-15 MT tires. They fit nicely, but if you hit a dip in the road, or go over RR tracks that are molded into a hump in the road, they do rub a bit when the suspension compresses. For normal driving, they are great. They look good, they dont rub, and I honestly wouldnt go much bigger. This, of course, is assuming that you are driving a sub with the same body style as mine. 99 is the year where they switched the body style half way through the year.

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2000 silverado and 265/70R16's are the biggest I can go with out a leveling kit on the front. I have been wanting to go to 285's. The 265's are a huge improvement over the 245's I use to have.

6. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

Alright, I think I'm gonna try 285's so when i get my 3 in. lift (hopefully soon) I'll be all set.
    Thanks y'all

7. USMC_tank

USMC_tank New Member

okay whats the best 3 inch lift for a 99 burban? i just got mine and its sitting a pretty decent hieght off the ground but its because it doesnt have the steps so it looks higher, im rolling on 245/75R16, so i wanna roll 285-305
    so what would be best 3 inch lift and would it be better to actually have someone else install it or could i do it myself

8. AnCap

AnCap New Member

I have 285/75/16's on mine with a 2 inch lift and to be honest they look to skinny and short...what can I do for them?Also why would the tire be rubbing? It wasn't when I bought the vehicle but now I can see where the rim rubs an arm under neath the truck...its behind the tire and everything...I think I need something replaced because it seems to turn to far it only rubs when I turn it so far.

9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

31.7 or 265/75/16 is the largest you can fit without a lift or leveling kit if your wheels are 16" an OE offset. If you install a level kit with the above wheel setup, you can safely run a 285/75/16 or equivalent height tire. A more negative offset may require a bumper/valance trim around the corner.

10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Have you had the truck aligned? My buddies 99 2500 did this as well until he had the alignment corrected