Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

biggest tires that fit nbs 2008 stock truck?? also suggestions for wheels.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by george b, Sep 8, 2009.

1. george b

george b New Member

i have a stock 2008 1500 worktruck. what's the biggest size tire that i can put on without having front tires touch when turning??

my first idea was to put 20" oem aluminum wheels & original tires on my truck to replace my 16" horrible steel wheels. the stock 20's are great looking wheels, but there's some price gouging going on around where i live.. $1200 - $1500 a set with stock tires. so i'm thinking about aftermarket so i can get something that looks a little different. here's my problem. i've never seen any aftermarket wheels that look good without the truck being raised or dropped. i'm going cheap, so i don't want to do either.

i don't have 4x4.. could i get away with some 18" - 20" wheels and some aggressive tread like nitto dune grappler without coming off as a 4x4 poser?? i do a lot of offroading because i'm into dirtbiking, so i'm not totally faking it..

anyways.. i'm looking for suggestions for good looking rims & tires to fit a standard suspension clean white truck. btw, i've already replaced all the work truck plastic with chrome bumper/grill and painted my bumper ends. so it looks like a lt.

..george

2. tippatah

tippatah New Member

i have an 08 Silverado lt and recently put 33in bfgoodrich a/t's and 18in rockstar rims. I also have a leveling kit on it which is inexpensive. The tires rub a little when i turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other but nothing major and it doesn't bother me. so you can get away with 33's but if you don't want any rubbing at all i'd go with 31's

3. george b

george b New Member

those are popular options (leveling kit & 33" tires..) and i've heard that before, that you get a little rubbing at the extremes with those options..

from what i gather so far, i hear that 32" is safe for bone stock suspension.. anyone disagree?? i hate trying to pick out wheels and tires.. its a lot of money for something that you can't even see on your truck, and may not fit right.

4. george b

george b New Member

another question:

i'm undecided between 20x9, 20x10, or 22x11.. i'm leaning toward 20x9 since they're much cheaper and i'm pretty certain that it'll be the least problems, but i'm curious if anyone out there has the other two options on a bone stock suspension.

thanks..

5. bac-n-afect

bac-n-afect Rockstar 100 Posts

check out tire rack.com they have something called an Upgrade Garage. It loosley photoshops in different rims of various sizes. Keep in mind that these are rims that they sell.
    GL

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know what it means to be on a budget, but dropped looks so very nice.
    Have a garage sale, sell some stuff on ebay, deliver some pizzas......:glasses:
    [​IMG]

7. george b

george b New Member

i know.. i agree with you 100%. i'd love to drop it and put something like 22" boyd coddington flares on it.. that'd be sick. truth is, i don't do much offroading, but i do enough to where i probably shouldn't slam and put skinny tires on it.

i'm leaning towards 20 - 22" xd's. like monsters or hoss's. 22's would be sick, but i'm not going to put anything bigger than a 32" tire, so i don't know if it'd look good. and i can't find a pic anywhere on the internet. i'm not the greatest at photoshop, but i tried to stick a xd hoss & nitto dune on a picture of my truck. any opinions??

[​IMG]

8. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

FA BU LOUS! Nice!

9. bac-n-afect

bac-n-afect Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats a great look george b
    Your handles hurt my eyes!

10. mainec

mainec Rockstar

35's will not fit. They barely rub with just the weight of the vehicle on them. Not to mention drving you would destroy the finder. Personnally I dont like the look of alot of tire in the fender. I love the stock 31's, Body lift 33's, or 6" suspension 35's look.