Billet gas door/ grille inserts

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 2wheelmudder, Aug 30, 2009.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

okay so i have a 1995 c1500 and i wanna get the locking billet gas door would it look okay with a maroon with grey two tone my wheels are polished, would it be alright with stock handles on doors? if anyone has done this do they know if the finger hole for the stock door shows after putting the billet door on?
    one more question if you know how hard puttin billet grille inserts are? thanks

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That would look good in my opinion! And it depends if the billet grill is an overlay, or it you have to cut out the old grill.

3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I had to cut my grill for the insert. It still was simple to do. Cut, sand, paint and install the billet. The worst part was taping around the chrome so I could paint the area I had just cut. It still wasn't hard just time consuming.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had a billet gas lid on my last truck, it replaced the stock gas lid although they do make just stick on covers to get the same look. Mine still had the little finger notch in it, but it didn't show any more or any less than the stock lid did. I have put two billet grille inserts on my trucks in the past, and basically I used a Dremel to cut the mesh out of the two center sections of the grille and then sanded the ruff edges down smooth. The hardest part of those billet grille installs is the bars themselves, many times they are bent to where if you have a painted grille shell you will get several grooves cut in the paint. I usually bend mine before hand to fit in right the first time, and then make small adjustments when it's in the shell.

Here's a picture of my gas cap on my black and silver two tone silverado, and I thought it actually looked like ****! But I bought it because they were stealing gas real bad around my house at the time I bought it, so it's all a personal preference.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3711&stc=1&d=1251728636

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

alright thank you guys all for the advice, i prolly will get both, but first i will be adding an air intake and a flowmaster 40, so thats next:glasses: