Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bilstein 5100 Level Shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by DarkCherry, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Anyone have an 08 or 09 Silverado 4x4 and installed the Bilstein 5100 series leveling coilovers on the front end? Curious to know how they perform compared to the stock suspension. My 08 4x4 has the x60 suspension with the 20's. It has quite a bit of rake going on. I can get these bilsteins for roughly $90 a piece and get up to 1.7 inchs of lift in the front. Should be plenty. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

here is a link : http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/downloads/5100LevShks_flyer.pdf

2. HD2DMAX

HD2DMAX Member

Yea I am interested in these as well, especially the ride and how difficult they are to install.

3. mjs84

mjs84 Rockstar

x2

seems like less wear than a 2" leveling block kit, for not that much more $$.

curious if you can install yourself or if you need the shop. if the show, much much for the install?

4. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

you need to talk to BigBomber. he has these installed on his 2009 1500

5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2....Bigbomber's truck looks awesome with the bilstein shocks and I believe he put blocks in the rear too.

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X3 on that, Bigbomber likes his & has only good things to say about them. He also said the ride is a "little" more firm, but not harsh.

HD2D & MJS... If you have mechanical ability & a spring compressor you could do these yourself, but the key word is "ability" as this is about a #6 job. If you've ever r&i coils off of McPherson struts, or pulled coils out of a double "A" arm suspension, then you could do these IF you have the c.s. compressor.

7. mjs84

mjs84 Rockstar

got it -- job for the shop. Thanks!

8. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X4 on Bigbomber. He has had some pretty great experiences with them. If he doesn't chime in here (which I'm sure he will), send him a private message and I'm sure he'll be glad to set you straight!

9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

The stock shocks do not come close.The ride is a bit firmer but once i get 285s on her compared to the 245s i'm running ,the ride comfort should be the same as what the stock shocks had to offer.The shocks now take the brunt of the potholes and bumps instead of the springs(which is what was happening when the stock shocks were on).I got 2" of lift in the front.I also added a 2" Readylift block kit in the back to replace the 1" stock block.The rear of my truck is now about 1" higher in the back,which gives my truck a very subtle rake.I also put the matching 5100 Bilsteins on in the rear which their rep recommended and i am definitley not sorry i did.Check out my pics in my album,i believe i still have a pic of all 4 shocks and the hardware that they send.All i can say is that you will absolutely love these and it is ,in my opinion superior in every way to the spacers that people purchase to level their front ends.Any more ?s feel free to send me a private message and i will do my best to answer them.