1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bilstein 5100 + Standard Leveling Kit = ????

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Vincennes02261897, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

My mind takes me to strange places sometimes. I have just thought up something that left me quite stumped. Since I'm pretty unfamiliar with how the Bilstein 5100s actually work to level the front end, I'm wondering what would happen if you had a standard (CCM, ReadyLift, etc.) leveling kit and you added Bilstein 5100 leveling strutts?

A.) 2.5" standard lift + 2" 5100s= 4" of lift

B.) The standard lift brings things out of range for the levling shocks so you'll only have a 2.5" level.

C.) It won't work Period.

D.) Another explanation.

Also, assuming A is true and blocks have been installed in the back, would the overall lift look like a body lift or a suspension lift?

Thanks in advance for any responses. If this is confusing, just ask me and I'll be happy to clarify as best I can...
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Vin, no matter what it won't look like a body lift as the body is not lifted off the frame with spacers, so no worries there. Bigbomber said that the way the Bilsteins get the 2" lift is by having a 2" different snap ring position for the spring stop, thus packing the spring into a smaller space & 2" out of stock position giving you the lift.
    From what others have said you can't do both the Ready lift & the 2" Strut lift together but I don't remember why.
  3. Vincennes02261897

Hmm.... Thanks, Stephan. It's not really something that would make a whole lot of sense but I'm so unfamiliar with how the two of them work that I wasn't sure. Really just a theoretical question but I was wondering anyway.
  4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am a member over on another GM truck forum and what you are looking at is very popular. There is a guy with a NNBS that has a 7.5" RCX suspension kit with a Top Gunz level kit and the Bilstein struts and had no issues.

On my '07 Classic I had 3" blocks in the rear and it did not look gappy like a body lift like Stephan said. A lot of people were trying to tell me I would get axle wrap if I took off too fast, but I never had that happen.
  5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I thought about using spacers along with my Bilsteins but once i get my 18" rims and 285 tires my truck will be another couple inches higher than it is now,which is high enough for me.
  6. Vincennes02261897

Cool. Thanks for the information, guys. I'm really just tired of waiting to level my truck and it would take a while longer for me to allocate the money for the Bilstein 5100's. On the contrary, I can easily drop $75 on a leveling kit and install it myself right now. I MAY want to turn around and get the 5100's later though. That's when I started wondering what would happen if I had the 5100's installed with a leveling kit already installed. Interesting concept. I guess it makes sense, ajarman, that it is a popular question in your other forum.