1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Black Bow Tie?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Urban Assault, May 1, 2010.

1. Urban Assault

Urban Assault Member

I want to Buy or Paint my Grille bow tie on 06 silverado 1500. Any Suggestions / tips on painting it?

Thanks
  2. 03 Black Sunshine

03 Black Sunshine Rockstar 100 Posts

There are actually a couple threads on this. But, it is a really simple mod and it makes a world of difference.

If it is the same as my 03 it will go something like this.

1). Remove the splash shield at the front of the truck under the hood it has like 8 push clips that hold it on.

2). Now you can reach in alot easier and remove the 2 keeper nuts on the back of the bowtie. I think it is a 10 mm.

3).Sand it with about 320 to get the dirt and dust and generally just to make the paint stick better.

This is the most important steps.

4). Follow all directions on the Primer, Paint and Clearcoat.

5).I went with several light coats of primer and I sanded with 800 or 1000 in between. This is personal prefrence so if you want to do it, if you dont...dont.

6). Follow the directions on your color coats and if it says let it dry 4 hrs let it dry 4 hrs. Use light coats also.

7). Follow the directions on the clear coat. Let it dry completly.

8). Reinstall the bowtie and stand back and smile. And take pictiures along the way. I dont have any progress pics but here is a before and after of my truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it makes a dramatic difference.

Hope this helps.

Tim
  3. Urban Assault

Urban Assault Member

Very Nice! Thanks a lot
  4. 03 Black Sunshine

No problem buddy. When you get yours done be sure to show us.

tim
  5. Urban Assault

Urban Assault Member

what type of spraypaints you use? I was thinking Kraylon
  6. sumo

sumo New Member

i had a friend that painted it for me. did it in a booth sanded, buffed paint and cleared it.

Attached Files:

7. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I decided on a billet bowtie for mine. If I remember right it cost me less than $40. Great quality and easy install!!

[​IMG]
  8. 03 Black Sunshine

Pretty Sharp. I like it.

tim
  9. chevy.guy07

chevy.guy07 New Member

Go to Ebay, Check out my truck I have black bow ties, and its just a vinyl sticker from ebay,, Durable strong, and looks great.
  10. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

that billet one is nice dude. but painting it is easy but i ended up painting alot more black after i did the bow tie