1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

black bowtie (good adhesive?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by justaphase44, Dec 10, 2008.

1. justaphase44

justaphase44 Rockstar

Searched the forums and didn't find an answer. So I painted my bowtie black about 2 weeks ago. Had no trouble taking it off, sanding it down w/ 180 grit and then 400 grit. Putting 5 or 6 coates of krylon plastic paint on it and allowing it to dry for 24 hours. Used a not-so-harsh spray adhesive in a can to attach both pieces and reinstalled back on. Went to get back in my truck yesterday after work and noticed the top half of my bowtie had fallen off when I was driving I suppose? So my question is what is a really strong adhesive that works but won't affect the paint eat away at it???

will post pics soon.
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure of your expertise, but will tell you what I know.

They actually have stuff that is made especially for badges/moulding. The one thing to keep in mind is that you have to (HAVE TO) sand/scuff both mating surfaces before you apply it. I don't think this is what you'd want, and if there's any chance of both surfaces being exactly flat you'll want the second option anyhow.

If you go to an automotive parts store (or an auto paint store) they sell two-sided tape just for this. You can get it in a few thicknesses and a few widths. They are mainly a thin foam with adhesive on both sides. Just apply it to the *cleaned* badge/moulding/(in your case, the emblem) and then strip the other side and apply it carefully. If you want to make sure you don't mess up too badly place the emblem where you want it.. then lift it up on one side so as not to move it's position, and peel away the backing. GENTLY place it back and continue to pull the backing off. Once all the backing has come off, press the emblem on securely and it should stick for as long as you own the truck!

Hope this is what you had in mind, and I hope this helps!
  3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed with the double-sided tape. 3M makes some strong stuff like Stephen mentioned. I used some to mount the base for the GPS unit on the dash of my work truck, and I don't think I could get it back off if I wanted to.
  4. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I prefer the2-sided tape also. But they do make a 2 part epoxy that will never come off. I dries in 5 minutes and is completely clear. We use it at work to mount laser windows. Unless your completely comfortable with the stuff I would not recommend using it. Go with the tape idea.
  5. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

Gorilla Glue
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

This is a good point. You have to put it back on after you take it off.