Black Chevy Bowtie Photos - How to Black Out your Chevy Bowtie

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by ChevyFan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We've got several threads on this site regarding how to black out your Chevy Bowtie. I figured I would pull all of them together in one main thread.

Just curious, how many people have done this. Let's get some photos!

painting my chevy bowtie emblem
    This thread was started in 2008, good information here.

chevy bowtie logo
    Just more of a general discussion on putting stuff over your bowtie and how to get it painted.

How To: Black out your Chevy bow tie
    This is a good HOW-TO guide for turning your Chevy Bowtie black. Probably the most viewed of the three threads.

2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Thanks, Steve. I was actually thinking about the best way to do this yesterday evening. I looked a few on ebay but people were asking about $50-$80 for them.

3. CdnGMan

CdnGMan New Member

I agree... thanks for putting those links all in one place!!

4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I finally got to mine this weekend. The tailgate bowtie looks especially cool because of the chrome that I left around it. I'll post a picture in one of my albums as soon as I can get it. I also "debadged" the tailgate. All that is on the tailgate now is the bowtie. No dealer decal, no Silverado decal, no FlexFuel decal, and no trim package decal. It looks quite nice.

[​IMG]

5. Wow that looks awesome! What technique did you use, paint or sticker? Im going to do the same this weekend and am just looking for a few quick tips! Did you remove the whole grille or do it while it was on?

6. Bama Z71

Bama Z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

It's really simple , did this to bothof my Silverados that I've owned . Here's the one that I did today. Directions: pop off the Bowtie , sand it ,spray paint- $0.96 at Wal-Mart , clear coat $3.46. spray it with base coat 3-4 times , clearcoat it 3-4 times ,let dry ,glue back on. Really simple , the coats of paint is your choice.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Schaub

Schaub Rockstar

Is vinyl the best option for the rear one? I just want to black out the gold part. I'm trying to avoid taking it off the truck tho.

8. Bama Z71

I Blacked out the Bowtie on the 2007 that I had and left the chrome surround (looked great) but I popped mine off and did it. You may want to consider the vinyl if your're not wanting to remove the Bowtie, because you'll have to tape up the tailgate to keep the overspray off of it and it's easier for the paint to run if its not lying flat , good luck with which ever you choose

9. dfresh55

dfresh55 New Member

how did u get off the tailgate bowtie

10. Bama Z71

If it's a 2007 or newer , just take something thin and sharp , ease behind it, without scratching your paint , and it comes off really easy. The warmer the temperature- the better. Be careful not to break it in half.