Black Chevy Bowtie (Photos) - Newly done what does everyone think?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by IdahoChevy91, Oct 3, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member 100 Posts

I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the bowtie I made.

The original use of my truck was being a farm truck, so the original bowtie was shot to sh!t, so, since I am going to end up painting my truck a matte black, I bought a second grille with everything still attached for 20$ that I will use as the new one and paint matte black, and used the bowtie from it.

I sanded the bowtie just enough to rough it up, then did 3 light coats of DupliColor adhesion promoter, followed by three coats of Krylon indoor/outdoor primer, followed by three coats of Krylon indoor/outdoor flat black, and finally three coats of DupliColor Acrylic Enamel clear.

Here's pictures of the original bowtie, the new bowtie, and then both together.

What do you guys think?
    Before closeup, After closeup, After front-end

2011-10-03_12-26-02_856.jpg 2011-10-03_12-26-10_460.jpg 2011-10-03_12-26-17_874.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That turned out quite smooth! alot of the time you see them they are rough looking, and if not done in gloss they look not quite right.. looks great!
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That looks amazing! Just amazing, good work thanks for sharing with the class today. :)

This is such a good post that I cleaned up the formatting a little bit and added a description to each of the photos.
  4. IdahoChevy91

Thanks to both of you. And thanks Steve, it does look a lot better the way you formatted it. And while I am thinking about it, I'm wanting to paint the door bowties with the 2500 black, can anyone tell me how to remove them off an 89 chevy truck to paint them? Thanks again
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. tyler87

tyler87 New Member Platinum Contributor

Hey looks great, well done!
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice work on the tie!!
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks great!!:great:
  8. murdog94

You have to pull the entire trim piece to get them off.
  9. IdahoChevy91

ok, thanks, the trim just pops off doesn't it?
  10. murdog94

NO it has to be peeled off since it is double sided tapped on.. kinda a pain to get off, and make sure you have some tape to replace the old stuff..