Black Friday deals, are you in?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I was wondering if anyone here does the early morning black friday shopping. I did it the last 2 years. The first year I went to a home supply store and bought a cheap screw driver set and a few LED flash lights really cheap. Last year I scored a 10" android tablet from another home construction supply store for $45 along with a quarts heater for 75% off. Last year a store had a big gun safe for around 75% off. I did not buy one, but it was pretty funny watching people try to load it into there cars trucks. four guys lifting one guy guiding. This year I have not really seen anything that I am interested in other then a stainless steel wet dry shop vac for $19. But, I am not going to go freeze my rear off at 4:00 am to save $20. So, are any of you planning to get out there first thing friday morning? If so what are you trying to purchase?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

This year, same as every year, I'm hitting up my local Sears. This will be my second year of being there for the opening at 4am. On the list this year is an 11-drawer 26" wide Craftsman toolbox, a 26 piece set of combination wrenches, one each for metric and standard, and a replacement set of Torx bits for my ratchets to replace my existing set that has a couple bits with broken edges. Last year there were some other pretty good deals that weren't listed in the ads, so I'll browse the store after snatching up my planned goodies. The torque wrenches I scored last year fell under that category of things not listed in the ad.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I might be at my mother in laws that morning. I think that there is a sears hardware a mile away from her. I might have to check it out. Last year I went into Menard's with the plan to buy a heater and android tablet, I walked out 2 hours later and with a bill of over $300. I scored a bunch of stuff that I had forgotten that I needed/wanted. I have checked the ads this year and just don't see anything that excites me enough to go anywhere
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

Not really...... because:

• Snap-On, Mac, Cornwall, etc do not do black friday deals
    • Rigid Industries does not do regular black friday deals at local stores on their LED lights
    • Amazon has better pricing on Samsung 8000 series TV's, CD's Blue Ray movies, and replacement delco parts (Dealer is not going to participate in black friday unless you are buying a new or used car......
    • Onkyo Integra, McIntosh, Marranz home theater receivers do not go on sale at the specialty audiophile shops.(unless the model year is changing)
    • We already get a great deal on RMAS through the club

I get to stay in at the house and not spend gas, sleep, work on stuff and not deal with the crazies at the stores and on the road.....
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

I really dont either. I just dont really like a big crowds.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

i might do a little looking online, but thats it, not going out and dealing with that insanity.

Alex
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I was in the market for a tool chest and Sears' Black Friday stuff started yesterday at 5pm for 'Shop Your Way' members. I saw one I liked -- a doorbuster that was 54% off the regular price -- so I signed up for the 'Shop Your Way' stuff, printed out the coupon, and picked up the 3-pc tool chest at 10am this morning. (It's just like my dad's which he has had for 34 years ... and it's still going strong, so I figured it'll last.)

Interestingly it was one of 5 complete (3-piece) units in the store -- showing just how few doorbusters a given location tends to have. There were no lines. There was no wait. There were no frantic people. It was just another day at the mall and I was pleased Sears elected to do its Black Friday stuff this early with little fanfare. :)
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I did not realize that they did that. I am a rewards member with them also.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Yup. They always have some good deals on tools around Black Friday. Check them out... and buy early where you can. :)
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I just checked it out. Wow, $20 for a set of impact sockets is a darn good price.
  11. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

Ya that is a really good price!
  12. wmkess

wmkess New Member

I don't. I try to just find some good online deals.

Speaking of online deals, anyone know of any online truck accessory sites who are having a Black Friday sale?
  13. grampy

grampy New Member

I'm at the ranch, planning on staying here through thanksgiving weekend, That places me 80mi. from the nearest "big Box". Thats barely far enough to avoid the insanity !!! Got a 6 Pack of Sam Adams and a few Bud Lights stached in the fridge and there will be lots of left over goodies too. Plan on spending most of "black" friday in the shop "tinkerin'" on my old Willys truck. Ken
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

I ended up getting caught up in the event more than I originally wanted to. Sears did 2 waves of Doorbusters sales: one at 8pm and another at 4am. I went to the 8pm sale and the line was wrapped around the building. I did get in and snatch up the 26 piece wrench sets and a torque wrench I was after. However, the toolbox I wanted didn't go on sale until 4am. I went home for a very brief while, then turned around again and was at the store for 11pm figuring there would be another huge line around the store. Around midnight, I got in line and waited for 2 hours in the cold until store management brought us in around 2am. The line was relatively short, about 20 people. Then, I realized that the line was basically for the TVs on sale. So, I could have gone home after the 8am sale and rolled in around 4am to get the box, but at that point I just stayed till 4. But I got my $200 tool box!

The box is a base-model box, but it's a decent starter box I can keep for a couple years until I can afford a nice box. I loaded it up Saturday and already have it about 50% full of tools, so I don't have a massive amount of room for expansion. I have pics of the box, but I'll have to upload them tonight when I get home.

Was it worth staying out and around Sears for nearly 12 hours? .......... Yeah, I guess so.
  15. lokalmotive

lokalmotive New Member

My wife decided to try out the Black Friday thing at WalMart of all places for her first time. Needless to say she didn't stay gone long and only ended up bringing home a printer for the computer. Haha. I don't ever try to get out with all those folks. I'll just wait until a week or so after and catch the other sales. I might not save as much but it's not worth the couple extra dollars for me to get up that early or fight the crowds. Sears always has a lot of good deals on tools though. I need to swing by there and get some new inventory for the ol' toolbox.
  16. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Here's a couple pictures of my box put in place and then loaded:

IMG_0518.jpg IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0522.jpg
  17. lokalmotive

lokalmotive New Member

Man that looks good! I've got something similar but without the middle section. I wanted black but red was on sale when I got it a few years back. I need to get the other 3 drawers like you did so I can keep stocking.
  18. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

That's a nice box -- more than I'll need, really. I bought the same toolbox the Monday before Thanksgiving ... at the same price you did ... with no wait. How? I signed up for Shop My Way, online -- which has no cost to it and so far, no spam, either.

For Shop My Way customers Sears started its Black Friday event the Sunday before Thanksgiving at 5pm Eastern. You could log in, print out a coupon code (actually three -- one for each section) for the toolbox you bought, and take it to the store in advance of the Black Friday sale.

It was kinda cool doing my Black Friday shopping on Monday with no people or lines around. :)

I also took advantage of 5% sale prices and a 10% coupon (total 15% discount) and free shipping from kbcarstuff.com -- where I ordered my Rigid lighting.
  19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Yeah, I saw your post about it. However, I generally dislike the ideas of signing up for that kind of stuff because while they may not send you spam now, I can guarantee they will in the future. I also didn't have the time or vehicle to fit it in without going through extra trouble during the week. I lost several hours of my life and sleep to it, but I'll live.

As for the box, it's nice for the price, but it's really a very bottom-end box in terms of quality and features. The ad claimed it was a ball bearing box, but it has the standard friction slides and also doesn't have the griplatch feature. It'll hold me over for 2-3 years until I can afford the box I want.
  20. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I have been a member of their program for a few years now. (Since they bought Kmart) I never get emails from them except for my digital receipt when I purchase something. Which is nice because I would rather have an e-copy than try to keep a bunch of them stored somewhere