1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Black out

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ecso586, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ecso586

ecso586 New Member

So I pulled emblems and cleaned them up to plastidip. Put 5 layers total om with the first layer being real thin. Needless to say it didn't work. I only cleaned with alcohol did not sand them. Any ideas to make this work or where I can buy black letters.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

What did it end up looking like? You have a photo? A lot of people have blacked out their badges so there's a way to do it.
  3. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN New Member

ive seen alot of people plasti dip their emblems. most dont pull them though, they left them on the truck. is cleaning the only prep you did? and did you spray or actually dip them?
  4. ecso586

ecso586 New Member

photo.jpg They looked really good but it was as if the edges were coated enough and as soon as I picked the letters up after giving them 2 hours to dry after last spray. The prep was taking them off the truck (so I didn't have to worry about over spray because a lot of small areas to tape like the A and R), scrapped off all tape still on the back, placed the letters on masking tape so they wouldn't move while being sprayed, cleaned with alcohol, sprayed first coat very thin ( read it on a forum...the thin coat gives the thick coat something to stick to because I didn't want to sand and ruin the letters), allowed the paint to dry 5 minutes, then gave 4 heavier coats with 10 minute dry periods between each one. Out of the 26 letters 5 held up really well....the ones that had paint on all sides. The reast didn't get much paint coverage on the sides because of using the spray version. I was originally ok with this because I wanted to get fancy and peel the paint of the sides making it a two tone finish with black on the front and chrome around the edges. Because of only 5 letters working I peeled them all and will try it again.

I find it funny though that you can buy black bow ties but no one sells black letters unless I want them iced and im not looking to bedazel my truck. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN New Member

a suggestion is to open a company that makes black letter and make bank. lol but no ive known people and seen people just box around the letters and paint the letter and the small paint around and just peel off the over spray. im sure you already did it but just in case. YouTube Plasti Dip and theres tons and tons of videos. watch a few and try it again. over spray peels off like vynl.
  6. dadngt

dadngt New Member

I used some silverado letter to make custom emblems. I painted them red, First I sanded with the 320 grit til they were dull, then used a dupilcolor adheasion promotor, then dulpicolor paint, then cleared. Looks good I haven't put them on the truck yet, but they feel like every piece I've painted. Really the smooth chrome is ard to paint on without sanding & adheasion promotor just to be safe, also cheap paints give cheap results but cheap paints are good for practice. Sorry it was getting dark in the garage when I finished up. I thought about painting my letters black since thats the color of my truck but didn't want them to completly disapear, may be if I could keep the out side raised boarder chrome but masking that would be a nightmare.
    rscleared.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Former Member

Sanding is the key. I have my bowtie blacked on the grill. Tailgate tie has been removed for custom paint. Sand with 1000 grit or higher just to get the surface scuffed. Scotch bright works good too! Clean with alcohol and let air dry. Get some tack cloth fromauto parts store or body shop to clean any dust off. Paint in even coats and make the coats thin. Let completely dry between coats. I have also blacked my headlights myself too. If you look at my pics.......those arent aftermarket headlight assemblies. They have been taken apart (unglued from factory) sanded as mentioned, painted and re-assembled. Took me all of a day to do this but I have $40 invested instead of $200+ for after market lights. My taillights have also been done but I used VHT nite shades
  8. dadngt

dadngt New Member

catmechanic07 I'll have to check out those lights later on the computer (on phone now) Sounds like a cool job, I've been wanting to just remove the amber lens
  9. KevAlexander

KevAlexander New Member

I saw some black letters you can get on ebay, I remember seeing a site that sells the lettering in all sorts of colors but i forgot