1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Black rear bumper done

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dadngt, Jul 16, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

Knocked off another project on the list yesterday. I finally painted the rear bumper chrome black. I was not able to remove the bumper like I had planed because of the spare tire crain (not sure what that thing is called) I did however remove all the plastic trim to find that the chrome pieces are riveted to the bumper metal so I could not remove them to try & pound out the dent in one corner of the chrome. So with it taken that far apart I just covered the back of the truck in a large plastic sheet did my prep work & painted it as is. I didn't think the results would be as noticable as they are I'm liking the outcome I desided not to paint the plastic parts because if I used them to step on like they are for the paint would not hold up well. I've seen alot of trucks now with a bluish light for a tag light, is that just an led or what? Would is just be a bulb swap or more involved?
    blackoutbumperrear.JPG halfblack.JPG
    I seen the headlight mod done & now I'm thinking about doing that next heres a picture of the results I'm looking for. My problem now for this mod is the long drying time for the silicone to put the headlight back together.
    blacklights.jpg
  2. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Your work is always top notch and I wouldn't expect anything less! Great work, can't wait to see what you have in store next! Also that headlight mod looks awesome, would love to see that done!!,
  3. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

very nice paint job.... i was lookin at ur mods list [MENTION=50287]dadngt[/MENTION] and u have a turn down on ur exhaust, is this like the pipe stop short of the spare? my truck came with that and dont know what the reason for it except for more resonance in the cab
  4. dadngt

Yeah the exhaust ends before the rear axle which for some reason they have the exhaust blowing on my axle I think I would rather have it exit out the side in front of the rear tire, would really like to do that if it could be done on both sides but the gas tank is in the way on driver side. Eventually I may just run a dual exhaust out the back with some nice rectangle tips. The reason I had the turn down or dumps as some call them was to make the truck louder lol.

I'm still debating on the headlight mod since I have the black grille & everything I feel it might be an overkill kinda the reason I'm not considering tinting the tail lights. although I would like to remove those ugly amber pieces & just use an amber light for turn signals. I'm not exactly looking to the murdered out look as its called lol.

Thanks TexasTechRaider. I think my painting skills are about 20 feet. Which means it looks good about 20 feet away lol. But its the best thing about doing it yourself, if you don't like it later you can do it yourself again lol. better than paying someone else to do a ok job.
  5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On a lowered truck I'd run dual exit out the right side in front of the tire. I have it on my truck on love it. My old truck have it going out on both sides like you said. I'd love to have it like that on my silverado
  6. dadngt

DIGS16 I was looking at your list in the signature, what kind of drop do you have on your truck? I was thinking about a 4/6, I may be the only person in the world that actually likes the rear raised like the factory so maybe a 4/4 so I can keep that look but closer to the ground. I was quotes about $1300 for a local shop to drop my truck with a 2/4 kit, which is why I'm still a 2wd up in the air.

Also the chrome bowtie at least on the tailgate this may work did for my dad. The plastic cover fell off his tailgate bowtie & it was just a chrome piece all the gold was on the cover. Just an idea, when I pulled mine off to paint it, it to fell apart like that also.
  7. dadngt

I have seen a 88-98 model with the exhaust exiting before the rear tires on both sides but I think he had a fuel cell in the bed, way to much work for a look. I like the look of the Gibson Super Truck exhaust but don't really like the sound (thanks you tube for all the people recording their exhausts) What kind of setup are you running? My old 89 Chevy truck had dual flowmasters (they had to be turned up & side by side instead of flat then they were turned down about a foot from the mufflers. That 350 sounded awesome the drone was great to me setting off car alarms in first gear just before the shift point. Did however make every plastic interior part rattle :) Me & the wife miss that sound, So when I say I have the black Flowmaster Super 44 muffler & its not loud enough you'll know why.
  8. ahmitchell1

My 65 is running true duals out each side with the black super 44s. It's very loud. My silverado has the stock pipe to a 10 series then turned out
  9. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

honestly i dont know what type of drop it has, bc when i bought it, it already had the drop kit, it only looks like a simple level job they did on it but then i think it is a full drop all around bc it sit lower from front to back compared to a regular silverado... and it looks like they changed the assembly where the rear springs sit
  10. ahmitchell1

Check out some for mcguaghys lowering kits. I'd check it out and see if you can save money in do it yourself