black smoke

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dshewy14, Jul 21, 2010.

1. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

ok so I've noticed over the past couple of months when ever I really get in my truck it puts out a cloud of black smoke and then goes back to normal. it dont do it when i'm parked, driving normal, and it only puts out that one poof and that's it. I've been told it's running to rich but I have no codes on or nothing so what could it be. thanks for any help

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Carbon.. It will run rich at start up as the motor is basically "choked" to start then as the EFI takes over and leans out there is no need for the rich condition.
    I would try a seafoam treatment (there are a ton of topics threads on the forum) and see if that helps to clean out the carbon out of the top end of the motor as well as the catalist...

3. dshewy14

ive tried seafoam before never really helped, but ill see what i can read on it

4. Nick Keck

Nick Keck New Member

doesn't hurt to try an injector cleaner as well

5. dshewy14

yeah ima look into some of them cleaners and if they dont work i guess start checkibng sensors

6. dshewy14

well ive have yet to get anything figured out, ive tried running different stuff throught it and nothing. I had a guy at work tell me other day that it might be my egr valve is clogged up or just going bad....anyone know anything bout that?????

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Have you tried the new Seafoam kit for cleaning the intake manifold? Check out the video on Seafoams website.