1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

blacked out bumpers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by shaggyiroc, Nov 18, 2009.

1. shaggyiroc

shaggyiroc New Member

has anyone blacked out their chrome bumpers. i was thinking about using dupli-colors anodized paint and giving my bumpers the black chromed look. any thought or suggestion on this. i seen some trucks with spray on bed liner on them which also looks cool. guess im not that big of fan of chrome. thanks in advance
  2. damion

damion New Member

Ive been pondering this too.

From the ppl ive talked to, paint does not like to stick to chrome, so thats why I havnt done it yet...

Just my .02
  3. b_burdine

b_burdine New Member 100 Posts

I have an 03 that I've blacked out both bumpers with black spray paint. It sticks pretty good unless a rock comes up and hits it. But if you just get some fine steel wool and some dryer sheets and wet the dryer sheet to get the bugs off then clean it up perfectly with the steel wool, it comes out great.... I've been slacking to get some pictrures/ videos up here but it will happen soon. I am no fan of chrome
  4. shaggyiroc

shaggyiroc New Member

dupli-color has a adhersion promoter never used it dont know how that would hold up to rock chips. but it supposed to be used instead of any sanding so they say. would love to see some pictures b burdine what color is your truck.
  5. b_burdine

b_burdine New Member 100 Posts

my truck is the champagne color. click on my name then my album then you will see what it looks like
  6. 4DGS

4DGS New Member

I work in automotive paint and I've done tonnes of stuff with duplicolor cans.

My suggestion, in steps;
    1. Sand it down, 100grit,200grit
    2. Clean it obviously
    3. Spray it with duplicolor filler [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DupliColor-Filler-Primer-Black-Aerosol/dp/B00296J1PS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1258675560&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: DupliColor Filler Primer Black DupliColor Aerosol Spray: Automotive[/ame]
    4. Steel wool, 000 or 0000
    5. Spray with Duplicolor bumper paint [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-Flexible-Bumper-Coating-GRAY/dp/B000B68V9U"]Amazon.com: Dupli-Color Flexible Bumper Coating - GRAY: Automotive[/ame]
    6. Sand with 800grit and recoat that will make it very smooth.
    IF YOU WANT IT TO BE GLOSSY
    7. Spray with Duplicolor wheel coating Clear coat. I don't recommend this myself because clear coat is sticky and can easily grab dust out of the air, if you have somewhere that has no air movement and very little dust (maybe a brand new garage?) then you could do it.

If you do want make sure it sticks really well, use the adhesion promoter as said above. It's basically an epoxy in a spray. Paint needs to be applied about 10 minutes after the promoter goes on or you will need to recoat.

I am going to guess and say 2 cans of everything... Keep in mind if you clear coat, you need to sand everything heavily to touch it up, if you leave it satin then you just need to steel wool and respray.

Ignore the dust on them, I didn't have time to get these in the shop so I sprayed them with duplicolor wheel paint.
    [​IMG]
  7. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

8. daweinah

daweinah New Member 100 Posts

Have you thought about trading someone with the W/T front? I'm way down in Texas, but I'd sure as hell trade my black bumper for a chrome one. This would only work on the NBS I guess