1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blazer wont idle. Dies at stops or slowing down to turn

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Grunkybouy, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Grunkybouy

Grunkybouy New Member

My 94 full size Blazer is giving me fits. I get in it to go to work, starts right up, drives fine all the way to work. Get off work go out to start it, wont start. Cranks like crazy but wont catch. Anyway, replaced the coil, no start. Replaced the rotor and cap and bingo, starts right up. But 50 feet from there it dies.
    Start it, drive a little ways and it dies. Put it in nuetral , keep the r's up and it will stay running. But if I put it in gear, it dies. Finally get it home. let it sit all weekend, get in monday morning, starts right up, drives me all the way to work, no problems. Get in to come home, starts up, half way home it starts that same crap all over again. Get it home, let it idle in the drive way and it sounds like a cam shaft from hell. It wants to die but it wont let itself. Could I have done something under the hood by accident when I was doing the other stuff? Any ideas what this could be? I hate Intermittent problems!!!
  2. geo1

geo1 Member

you have heat problems with a comprimised electrical part,a 94,get a new module in dist.,easy to change,might better get a pickup coil also,you probably didnt do wrong on coil,they get stressed when other items are at fault
  3. Grunkybouy

Grunkybouy New Member

Thanks for the input Geo. Drove it home last night, no glitch. Drove it to work this morning. no glitch. Do these Blazers fix themselves? I am going to replace the module anyway. Not sure what you mean by the pickup coil. Are you talking about the coil I replaced? Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes
  4. geo1

geo1 Member

first to module,back in the day my auto parts store kept a module tester,been a while so do ask,simple to remove and check or replace,other is pickup coil,that is what took over for points,it surrounds the dist.shaft,they do go bad,in many diff. ways,you have to pull dist to change,press out roll pin on gear,pull shaft out,change pickup coil,not thehardest thing to do,but if you change both youre dist.is brand new,except for shaft bushing,to check that just try to move rotor side to side in dist.a little play is exceptable,alot would show up on cap from rotor hitting it
  5. Grunkybouy

Grunkybouy New Member

Hey Geo, well replaced the module and I think that did it. Have not had another problem. Maybe it is just waiting for a good moment to screw up my day. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help. Be well
  6. xmod

xmod New Member

My 02 jimmy did the same for a while, decided to get it checked, turns out it was the Mass air flow sensor (MAF)

Just in case...

;)