1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

blend door actuator 1997 1500 pickup

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dugtipi, Jul 9, 2010.

1. dugtipi

dugtipi New Member

I can't get my heat or a/c to blow thru the middle vents. I know it's the blend door actuator. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer but to no avail. I found on rockauto.com the part I need, but don't know exactly where it is or how to get at it. I lowered my glove box but don't see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 38racn

38racn Member

Is that the only problem? Will it change from floor to defrost, or is it stuck in one spot and doesn't change at all? When you turn the dial does it feel like there's a "bump/stop" right at the spot where it does blow through? Your climate control is an electronic circuit panel and only the blower speed control is replaceable. If there's a problem with any other component you must change the whole control circuit. The good news is, it's a really easy job. The bad is the price. Even online parts dealers will put you into shock. An e-bay search usually works well.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As to finding the actuator, you might want to google it also mabey searching the site for its location. I dont remeber seeing it here but when i had to change one out on my old 88 i googled it to make sure it was the right one.
  4. dugtipi

dugtipi New Member

I can switch from floor to defrost and I didn't notice a bump/stop when I turn the dial. I had heard that the blend door actuator needs replacing which of course would be cheaper. Do you think rather that it's the climate control unit?
  5. murdog94

I know i have to tear into mine here as well. I have a similar problem where the blower wont blow on the vents or defrost. But it will blow a bit faster on floor but not very well. I believe it is the mode actuator mentioned by Caddiac.
  6. 38racn

38racn Member

Visit this site. http://www.compnine.com/index.php You'll find a complete breakdown of your heat/cool system. Select your vehicle, then scroll down to "sheet metal/heater". Click on the picture, then scroll down to the heater breakdowns. Clicking on one of those will open a parts window. I use this site alot and it can be very helpful.
  7. murdog94

Thanks when i have a chance i guess ill have to go thru and take a closer look.
  8. dugtipi

dugtipi New Member

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated. I'm going to look into all your suggestions. Love having a site like this one. Gotta get my A/C back while the hot days are here. Thanks again!