blew the rear

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by shagginwagon, Jul 12, 2010.

1. shagginwagon

shagginwagon New Member

hi all. im in a little bit of trouble. i blew my rear to pieces. im in a bit of a bind as far as time so i wanted to get a junkyard rear. i have a 1990 suburban 1500 4wd with a tbi 350. now i know there are many axles that will fit. but im just trying to see which models i can yank the whole rear from and go. i have 3.42 gears in mine but im not terribly concerned with the ratio i end up with now. can any one give me a few other trucks that i can plug and play with the rear? thanks so much for any insight that can be contributed.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Just about anything with that body style. (mid 70s Chevy/GMC fullsize 1/2 ton with a 6 bolt axle) will fit.
  3. wis bang

wis bang New Member

You can't use your 4X4 unless you match the gear ratios...Do you have a shop nearby that does rears? Sometimes they have rebuilt guts available that could be stuffed into your rear...might not bee that much; shop around some...for that era 3:42 was pretty common so someone should have the stuff you need.
  4. shagginwagon

shagginwagon New Member

I wasn't concerned as much with 4wd usage as much as gettin the truck Rollin for pop again. I lucked out and found 1990 k5 axles 3.73 front and rear for 300 beans. Even better yet there's some kind of locker in it. Definetly not a limited slip. Has centrifugal weights on it. Thanks for the help. I anticipated a disaster and managed to upgrade while repairing. Couldn't be happier.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

300 is a good deal.. glad youve got it going again.