blew the rear

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by shagginwagon, Jul 12, 2010.

1. shagginwagon

shagginwagon New Member

hi all. im in a little bit of trouble. i blew my rear to pieces. im in a bit of a bind as far as time so i wanted to get a junkyard rear. i have a 1990 suburban 1500 4wd with a tbi 350. now i know there are many axles that will fit. but im just trying to see which models i can yank the whole rear from and go. i have 3.42 gears in mine but im not terribly concerned with the ratio i end up with now. can any one give me a few other trucks that i can plug and play with the rear? thanks so much for any insight that can be contributed.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just about anything with that body style. (mid 70s Chevy/GMC fullsize 1/2 ton with a 6 bolt axle) will fit.

3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

You can't use your 4X4 unless you match the gear ratios...Do you have a shop nearby that does rears? Sometimes they have rebuilt guts available that could be stuffed into your rear...might not bee that much; shop around some...for that era 3:42 was pretty common so someone should have the stuff you need.

4. shagginwagon

shagginwagon New Member

I wasn't concerned as much with 4wd usage as much as gettin the truck Rollin for pop again. I lucked out and found 1990 k5 axles 3.73 front and rear for 300 beans. Even better yet there's some kind of locker in it. Definetly not a limited slip. Has centrifugal weights on it. Thanks for the help. I anticipated a disaster and managed to upgrade while repairing. Couldn't be happier.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

300 is a good deal.. glad youve got it going again.