1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blinding blue light from hell

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Ben, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad, but the little blue light that pops up on your dash when you have your brights on is WAY too bright for my liking. I'm not a fan of how I can dim every other part of the dash except for this ridiculously bright blue light.

The thing is, I am human and do sometimes forget my brights are on and it does remind me from time to time. So I'm wondering if there's anyway to permanently dim this light? I would just put electrical tape over it or pull it out completely but if I can I'd like to keep it, just dim it down a bit.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, the BRIGHT BLUE LIGHT & the dim green ones for the damn turn signals that you can't see in the daytime. I thought I could get a lower wattage bulb for the high beam indicator & higher watt bulbs for the turn indicator but they're all the same watts in the plug in variety. I never have been able to fix the dim TS lights, but what you can do for your high beam blue is take the instrument cluster apart & put 3 or 4 pieces of frosted scotch tape over it. This will tone it down. Be sure & check it in the dark before you put the dash back in as it may be too dim or still too bright.
  3. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Well the newer clusters use LED's, so wouldn't the heat from the LED melt the tape? Or whatever else you used to cover it up?
  4. stephan

Mine is an old dog '88 & uses tungsten bulbs. I'm pretty sure tungsten bulbs get hotter than LEDs'. I have never felt any hot LEDs
  5. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Lol, I'm retarded. I always thought they go hot. I guess I thought that since I was reading about LEDs creating hot spots/marks in clusters before. Have you ever heard about that problem?
  6. stephan

no I've never heard of it. Most LEDs I've dealt with are very low voltage. They can usually only take about 7 or 6v. They are run through/behind some sort of voltage limiter that drops the voltage down from the vehicles normal 12v.
    A full 12v volts will burn them out... Don't ask me how I know that ha ha ha
  7. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Thanks! I'll try this when I get a chance. It sure is hard on the eyes at night!