1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

block heater

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by drwdominance, Jan 17, 2011.

1. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

How do I know if I have one? My manual tells me where it is but I can't find it.

Is there another way to know or am I just blind?

it's an 07 2500 diesel.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

The best way is to just look. It should be pretty obvious if you do have it. Also it should be listed on your codes if it was installed from the factory, but if you didn't buy this veh new, the previous owner could have installed one too, so you really have to look for it to know for sure. The owners manuals are generic. One manual fits all, & just because it talks about a particular option or accessory, doesn't mean it will be on your truck.
  3. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

Which # in the code would tell me that? Any idea?
  4. stephan

Sorry man I've never had a diesel or a block heater so I don't know the code. Go to compnine.com & plug in your info. All your codes will be on your glove box lid/console. Just write them all down plug them in & comp nine will decipher them for you. Also you should have a build sheet stuffed between the seat springs that tells everything your truck came with, but they are a biotch to get out in one piece without dissasembling the seat. Like I said it's really easier just to look for it on the engine. It's either there or it's not. I would guess that because of where you live in the far north (so darn cold) it should have one, but maybe it was an oversight by whoever did the order.
  5. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

It came from Calgary which is much colder than where I live. That's part of the reason I thought for sure it would have one. I think I will park it inside tonight at my work and check it out thoroughly.
  6. stephan

I would think it should have one too. I live at 43 degrees latitude where it seldom gets below 30 degrees F & they put block heaters in about 80% of the diesels here. I know it has to be worse where you live.
  7. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

I have personally never seen a diesel truck that didn't have a block heater.... The cords for them are usually zip-tied up out of the way on the frame....
  8. stephan

I would agree with that, unless it was originally shipped to a warm climate dealer & ended up being exchanged on a dealer trade up north. For the nominal cost involved, I think the factory should put them on all diesels.
  9. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

me and a couple of co workers looked last night for half an hour and couldn't see one.

it must not have one installed, but that makes zero sense to me.
  10. henrys021500hd

henrys021500hd New Member

I am home for a few hours today and decided to put a timer on the block heater so I am out in the -24C cold and looked all over the upside of the truck, also a 2500HD(used) and could not see anything. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I will look under the truck. When you say tied to the frame, where should I first look?