1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Block Welding Question on 2.5L Chevy Engine

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by 85 S10 Man, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

i just bought a used 2.5L engine out of a 91 S10 to put in my 1985 S10 because the engine started mixing water and oil together.

Well anyway i bought this other engine with less then a 100,000 miles on it and i got to cleaning it up today and found the block had about a 5 to 6 crack in it.

It is right under the 3 freeze out plugs on the left hand side.

Well my question is can i take a stick welder or a wire feeder welder and weld it the block where it won't leak coolant out?

I had a few mechanic guys tell me that i can do it and then had a few tell me it wouldn't hold and bust back loose with a bigger hole.

I'm a pretty good welder and i think i can do it but i really like to know if i can do it or not before i try.
  2. davej

davej New Member

If the block is cast iron your not going to be welding with a wire welder.Cast iron welding requires a skilled stick welder. You need to heat the area 1st then weld. Then will it hold maybe maybe not. Time for a new block man.
  3. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yeah i got rid of that engine and working on a other one. i'm putting main bearings and new gaskets on it when i get the block back for the shop after having it checked out good.
  4. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

You can use a wire feed if you use stainless wire, just remember to heat it before you weld and then ping it when you are done. If you use stick there is some really good nickel rod unless it is aluminum then use TIG.
  5. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yeah i was using the gas with the stainless wire but it still didn't hold worth a nothing. so i got rid of it to other guy that needed a few parts to get his engine going.
  6. giorge

Did you grind it out first and clean it well?
  7. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yes that was the first thing i did. and it just didn't hold like i thought it would so i got rid of it.
  8. giorge

I used to weld a lot of cast and when I first started doing it I had a few that failed. Most of the cast that I weled was on big pumps, the nickel rod worked the best but I used the the wire feed a lot.
  9. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

oh i c well i'll write this down and remember it next time in case i get a other block that is cracked.