Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blower Motor Bypass

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AKRide907, Dec 16, 2013.

1. AKRide907

AKRide907 Rockstar

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make and wire in a blower motor bypass? The blower motor in my truck wont start when its below -30 outside. Didnt use to have that problem until I had to replace the blower motor resistor two years back. GM apparently issued a letter saying that the part could be replaced or whatnot, but I never had issues with the original until it died. (2003 chevy silverado)

So now, I know for a fact that my thermostat is working, when i get the truck moving down the road I can actually feel the heat moving through the vents very gently, and after about 5 minutes i can turn the blower motor back on and itll power up properly.

So could this also be related to the temp controls on the dash? Either way, does anybody have any ideas on how to wire a switch for the blower? Maybe put a wire coming from an ignition source so it comes on with the auto-start, put an inline fuse (wouldnt know what size, 20 amp?) and just wire that to the main power wire of the blower? Would that work? Would i still have control via the temp controls if i turned the switch off?

Thanks for the input.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with the hvac blower on max NO RESISTORS . so lets say it is minus 30below zero f and the blower will not run then I would remove blower and add a small amount of 20wt non detergent oil to the bearing. see if it works. buy new blower motor put in the cold see if it rotates like the old one.

also as a motor ages it does loose torque. since you live in the north pole I would suspect that this runs on max all the time so I would just replace it.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A quick test of the motor is in order. Just apply 12v and ground to the motor connections. If the motor turns up at normal high speed, the motor is probably fine.

If the motor is still hard to spin (when cold), there is a problem inside the motor. Could be a number of things, if you don't have any experience with motor repair, a replacement is in order.

If the motor spins fine with the temp 12v applied, the problem is in the speed control module, or the connections.