1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Blower motor not working

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lancer, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey guys i was in the truck this morning and had the ac on and the blower motor won't blow on #5 setting. it has the turn knob 0-5 on the fan speed. between 4-5 something clicks in the floor board of the passenger side but it won't blow any air on the 5 setting. anyone have any ideas. it doesn't work on defrost, ac, or vent. its like when you go to the 5 setting it just shuts off. any help would be great. this is the first problem i've ever had with this truck.............

2. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

first check the blwr fuse. ive seen several fuses half way melted and would cut off at number 5

the most likely cause is your blower motor resistor shorted out. very common problem and very easy fix

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was thinking the same thing...

4. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Aren't those switches variable contact? Couldn't it be gummed up in the switch itself?

5. lancer

Thanks guys for the ideas, i haven't had a chance to look at it real close yet. My little girls getting sick on us but i plan on tearing into it this weekend. i hope its just a fuse, like i said this is the first ever problem i've had in 4 years with this truck.

6. 38racn

38racn Member

Did you get it fixed yet? If so what was the problem? I've got a 2003 GMC 2500HD doing exactly the same thing, down to the click between 4&5.
    thanks,
    Tony

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Your blower motor resistor is shorted out.. Most likely, since this is fairly common on these trucks and actually most cars they go out over time.

8. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

90% of the time when the resistor shorts out it will melt the ground or hot wire (sometimes both) . usually you can just take a quick look and see if thats your problem

9. lancer

hey guys i still haven't got to this. (on stanby for work and have to be in work truck all week) would this fuse be in the fuses under the hook or in the cab?