1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Blower motor replacement 93 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by unplugged, Nov 22, 2006.

1. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The blower motor has been making an intermittent 'wheel in the spokes' noise. Finally decided to swap it out. On the 93, the main blower motor is under the dash on the right side. I started by pulling the glove box liner out. Remove the four screws and the push pins that hold the glove box door limit straps. Once the liner is out, remove the silver control box (three screws) Remove the bolt that secures the right side of the dashboard to the A pillar. This allows the dash to be lifted up just enough to manuever under the dash. Remove the fan insulator and then remove the two wires to the motor. Remove the screws retaining the fan motor and your ready for the trip to the parts store. As a rule, I like to take the old part to the store with me for a stare and compare. That way I avoid the return trip for the right part. The original fan motor was made in Canada, and the replacement was "hecha in Mexico" Reverse the procedure and the fan works great with no more noise coming from the squirrel cage. Part was $30 and about an hours work. :D

1 person likes this.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

AWESOME step-by-step! Thanks!

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

... I took the liberty of breaking it into steps so anyone who comes by here can print it out and follow it if needed.

4. ChevyFan

The blower motor has been making an intermittent 'wheel in the spokes' noise. Finally decided to swap it out. On the 93, the main blower motor is under the dash on the right side.

Replacing the blower motor for 1993 Suburban

Step-by-Step
    1) I started by pulling the glove box liner out.
    2) Remove the four screws and the push pins that hold the glove box door limit straps.
    3) Once the liner is out, remove the silver control box (three screws)
    4) Remove the bolt that secures the right side of the dashboard to the A pillar. This allows the dash to be lifted up just enough to manuever under the dash.
    5) Remove the fan insulator and then remove the two wires to the motor.
    6) Remove the screws retaining the fan motor and your ready for the trip to the parts store. As a rule, I like to take the old part to the store with me for a stare and compare. That way I avoid the return trip for the right part. The original fan motor was made in Canada, and the replacement was "hecha in Mexico"
    7) Reverse the procedure and the fan works great with no more noise coming from the squirrel cage.

Summary
    Part was $30 and about an hours work. :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  5. Jamie Gray

Jamie Gray New Member

Loudog cant figure the control box out

hey Loudog here, Ican't figure out how to get to the third screw on the silver control box or the ecm i assume. Any tips?

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I have a buddy down the street who"s a chevy god but hasnt been home. I checked with two mechanics i know and was told i need to remove the top of the control box. how?