1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blower Motor Resistor Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TheShamrock7, Oct 13, 2007.

1. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I have a 2005 Trailblazer ext 4x4. My blower motor resistor went out and I went to replace, but found that the main wire harness with 7 wires 2 of them the black and red were burned and melted the harness a little. What should I look for next, were should I look. I think It might be a loose ground or bad wire some were else that caused the problem. I don't really want to take it to a dealer. I have always worked on my own cars, but electrical is tricky!
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have the right size fuse in the panel? Fuse should blow before wires burn. Have you replaced the fan motor yet? A motor that is drawing too much current could be trouble.
  3. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I found the problem was a loose wire harness, I pushed it in tight and it worked but when on speed 5 the wire gets so hot that it melts the harness. Does that mean my blower motor is pulling too many amps? I also found that the black and red wire were cut and replaced with a thinner wire. I know that could be a problem. Looks like somebody had a similar problem before i bought the truck. I plan on buying a new blower motor, replace the wire's with the right thickness, and replace the harness. Does that sound right? I can use speeds 1-3 for now until i get everything.