Blower Motor Resistor Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TheShamrock7, Oct 13, 2007.

1. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I have a 2005 Trailblazer ext 4x4. My blower motor resistor went out and I went to replace, but found that the main wire harness with 7 wires 2 of them the black and red were burned and melted the harness a little. What should I look for next, were should I look. I think It might be a loose ground or bad wire some were else that caused the problem. I don't really want to take it to a dealer. I have always worked on my own cars, but electrical is tricky!

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have the right size fuse in the panel? Fuse should blow before wires burn. Have you replaced the fan motor yet? A motor that is drawing too much current could be trouble.

3. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I found the problem was a loose wire harness, I pushed it in tight and it worked but when on speed 5 the wire gets so hot that it melts the harness. Does that mean my blower motor is pulling too many amps? I also found that the black and red wire were cut and replaced with a thinner wire. I know that could be a problem. Looks like somebody had a similar problem before i bought the truck. I plan on buying a new blower motor, replace the wire's with the right thickness, and replace the harness. Does that sound right? I can use speeds 1-3 for now until i get everything.