1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blower motor resistor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by TheShamrock7, Oct 6, 2007.

1. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I have a 2005 trailblazer ext, my blower motor resistor is going bad. Does any one know where i can buy one? I called around some of the part store's and they said they don't carry them yet for my year. Called a chevy parts dealer and they want $170 dollars, does that sound right? I pulled the part down from under my dash never unplugged it, but notice rust on it. I cleaned up the rust with a piece of sand paper, turned it on and it worked but 5 did not, I could live with out 5 for a while, but laiter the next day it went out again, so I assume I need to replace it does that sound right?
  2. KC8NCI

KC8NCI New Member

Yes this sounds right, and at $170.00, I think they are selling you the entire motor assy. The resistors should only be around $30. The last one I bought was from Auto Value.
    Chevrolet Trailblazer Parts
    Chevy OEM
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

No they aren’t just resistors anymore. It’s a printed circuit board and yes they are that expensive.

Cheaper at the parts stores by about 70 bucks if you can find one. I had to replace one on a friends 01 impala. If I remember it was around 100 buck at NAPA.
  4. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

I can't find one anywhere, but the chevy dealer. napa it is 24.95 but they don't have any and the factory they get them from doesn't have one. I called late model salvage yards and they don't have them either. Do you think a garge that works on cars would have one and be cheaper than a dealer? Any body know where else to try? Could I add soder to it and make it work?
  5. TheShamrock7

TheShamrock7 New Member

More Trouble

I found a dealer that had one for 50 bucks, I bought it and went to put it in and 2 wires the red and the black in the big (7 wire) harness was melted just a little through the connector and the red and black prong was burned, tried to clean it up a little and hooked up the new one but it still doesn't work. I followed that wire harness as far as I could, it goes behind the radio. I am almost positive it goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment. Where do I go from here? what is the problem?
  6. iskoss

iskoss New Member

Re: More Trouble.

I have a 2003 Trailblazer and am having the similar blower motor difficulties. Was able to get the resistor from the local parts store for about $28, but neither it nor the motor are the source of the problem. Looks like we have to get the vehicle wiring diagram and trace it back to the control panel. The burned red and black wires show that too much current was being drawn by the blower motor and that should be the subject of a separate investigation.
  7. 03TrailBlazer

03TrailBlazer New Member

You'd think that they get this right eventually... I have a 1998 Malibu that had the same issue. The parts were 30 bucks from the local Advance Auto Parts (they were the only ones who had it)... The hardest part was getting it out...
    Chevy SUV Parts
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. Duramax04

Duramax04 New Member

Only place that i could find one was the local dealer. Under 30 bucks.
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

10. tomis24

tomis24 New Member

same issue

I have the same issue as the guy below, my blower stopped working. Pulled out the resistor, and it looks fien, but the wiring harness coneected to it is melted to the resistor. Can i salvage the resistor and buy a wiring harness to tie in to it? Or do i need to buy a new resistor and wiring harness? Has any one bought one, i don't know if it comes with the wiring harness.
    Chevy oem

I have a 2005 trailblazer ext, my blower motor resistor is going bad. Does any one know where i can buy one? I called around some of the part store's and they said they don't carry them yet for my year. Called a dealer and they want $170 dollars, does that sound right? I pulled the part down from under my dash never unplugged it, but notice rust on it. I cleaned up the rust with a piece of sand paper, turned it on and it worked but 5 did not, I could live with out 5 for a while, but laiter the next day it went out again, so I assume I need to replace it does that sound right?[/quote]