1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blown brand new 12" Kicker CVX subwoofer

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by zachmilz, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zachmilz

zachmilz Rockstar 100 Posts

I got my two 12" CVX subs in the mail yesterday and installed them and everything and what do you know, maybe 5 minutes after moderately breaking the subs in, one of them blows and smoke started pouring out of the port on my box. I bought the subs from onlinecarstereo.com and all the products I've got from them before have been fine, until now. I called throughout the day today and finally got to talk to the store operator about 30 minutes ago. They said that they can give me an RMA number to send it in to see if it was a manufacturers defect and send me a new sub, but in their warranty it says that they don't cover blown voice coils. I feel like I just got punked or something by the company with this one sub. The other one is fine, but what can I do about the blown sub? It's not even a day old and I wasn't overpowering the subs. I just want to get a new CVX mailed to me to replace the blown one. Any thoughts on how I can do this without paying another $200 for a new sub? I'm only 16 and really tight on budget...
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have had kicker subs for nearly 20 years and every time a sub blew they replaced it under warranty. My only concern would be since you bought them online they arent going to "fight" for you if Kicker decides not to honor the warranty.

Does the sub move when you push on it or is froze up?

I would double check that you have the subs wired correctly - even if the other sub is working.

If you are running them @ 2ohm they should be series/parallel- which will give you a 2ohm load I beleive. I dont think you can bridge a mono amp :) only multi channel amps.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=2&woofer_imp=3

Option 2

All in all you should be ok however, kicker should take care of you.

What you may want to try before sending it back is see if a local shop that sells Kicker will try to get it replaced for you...they may not be willing since you didnt buy it from them but they might if they think they can earn your business later.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. zachmilz

Yeah, the sub definitely froze up. Also, I checked my wiring, I ran them parallel at 2-ohms bridged at the amp and they were both working fine, for a few minutes. I'm going to try calling Kicker's main headquarters tomorrow since they were closed due to weather today and hopefully this will be resolved free of charge.
  4. sstoner911

Ok what do you mean bridged at the amp? You should have one positive wire going to the amp and one negative wire only for both subs.
  5. zachmilz

It's wired to a Hifonics Hfi2500D at 2-ohms and this is a little diagram I made of how I wired it.

Attached Files:

6. sstoner911

Perfect..that should be the ticket.
  7. zachmilz

Yeah, onlinecarstereo said they might be able to replace the sub if I got my system "professionally" installed, but I'm going to try and get ahold of someone at Kicker whenever their office opens back up to try and resolve this.
  8. sstoner911

Ya you may have more luck with Kicker....it doesnt appear that onlinecarstereo is an authorized dealer as I cant find the Kicker logo that all authorized dealers display on their websites.
  9. zachmilz

Yeah, I just ended up buying another one. I mean, really, who's going to believe me that the sub came with the voice coils already a little burnt? I'll just keep the blown sub as a memory or something. It sucks that I just payed another $200, though.