1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blown Front Rear

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by eddie mercury, Jan 10, 2011.

1. eddie mercury

eddie mercury New Member

The last snowstorm we had here in NJ my wife drove the Trailblazer around in 4WD/AWD and when she disengaged the next day after the roads were cleared it sounded as though the front rear wasn't releasing all the way and had a faint winding sound to it. She made an appointment with our local service shop (her cousin) last friday, but in the meantime the truck stopped making the noise which would seem that it finally worked it's way fully out of 4WD. On her way over to drop the truck off a few days later, we got more snow, she turned the selector to 4WD and BAM!! She said it sounded like she was dragging something under the truck. Wayne put the truck up on the rack and found the casing was cracked. So we are off looking for a salvage yard part. The only thing I can think of that would cause this kind of damage is possibly water in the front diff that froze. Any other thoughts out there??? Also.....I think she went from 2WD to 4WD HI while on the go, but I don't remember in the manual if that is a no no or not.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Did the transfercase of the Front diff break??? Because the front diff has an actuator, and if she was spinning when she put it into 4wd that can cause that to happen.