Blown Fuse

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 29Roadster, Aug 22, 2008.

1. 29Roadster

29Roadster New Member

:grrrrrr:

My 1994 K1500 is running great. I’ve finished all of the standard maintenance like, brakes, shocks, fuel filter, spark plugs etc. The last and most annoying item on my list is the turn signal fuse keeps blowing out after only a few hours. I now have a large supply in my glove box. Has anyone encountered this problem and what fixed it??

Rick

2. 06badZ71

06badZ71 New Member

maybe your not putting a larger enough amp fuse in??try putting a higher amp fuse in see if that works.. or maybe you got some loose wires crossing?

3. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

check your connections at the bulb, they might have corroded and you might be shorting out the circuit there

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I wouldn't recommend installing a higher amperage rating fuse. The circuit is rated for a certain amperage and using a higher amp fuse may cause the wiring to become the fuse and then you have a real problem on your hands.
    I would isolate which side is blowing the fuse. Once you know that remove and clean the bulbs and the sockets. Sometimes a flasher can short out when it gets hot and blow fuses too.

5. reDONKulus

reDONKulus New Member

+1 good way to start going about it

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

x2.

Make sure you are using the correct size fuse, it should be labeled on the fuse box cover. Assuming you are, the first thing I would check is a trailer wiring plug. They can get corroded and cause current leaks. You can actually disconnect the entire rear harness, the plug is behind the rear bumper. That will help you find out if the problem is in the front or back.

7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

this is a good suggestion and one that i was going to suggest also with the trailer plug thing. and someone else already hit on my idea about the flasher motor that may cause it. the other thing is the circuit boards that your tail lights run off of can draw damp and short out so unhooking them from the harness that plugs into them for your tail lights will help you determine if it's a short in those circuits or somewhere else. if there is a trailer hook up on that truck for lights you might check to see that none of the wires is bare anywhere around the connectors and then wrap them all in electrical tape and make sure they aren't sitting in any water or anything as that can cause your problem too.

if you figure it out be sure to post what your resolution was on here so we can all benefit from it. never know when that might happen to someone else and you may be able to help some one else out with your experience also.