1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blown Out Front Hub

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by cdvntx, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

I have a 1975 K5 Blazer, full time 4x4. I blew out the front driver's side wheel hub and I think it's called the spider gear(?). I'm a little buffaloed as to why I loose all drive to the front and rear differentials in normal 4x4, high or low. When I lock the differentials, I get power to the rear wheels and was able to get home, whew!
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The reason you lose all drive power is that your front diff is most likely an open diff and your transfer case acts as an open diff. Open diffs send power through the path of least resistance, which, with a broken hub, is to that axleshaft. Locking the transfer case forced a 50:50 split at the transfer case, and power was forced back to the rear axle.
  3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

You need to convert that transfer case to a part time case.
  4. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

I didn't realize that about this transfer case, but I guess that would explain it being full time and able to drive on asphalt...
    After pulling the hub off, it looks original and I'm surprised it could last this long...
  5. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

Yeah, I'm sure there are many things that should be upgraded on this model. I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I guess I need to bone up on some of this stuff and see what all can be done, but I sure do enjoy throwing it into a corner and nailing it with very little traction loss...