Blown Out Spark Plug

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by zachh1020, Apr 14, 2013.

1. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey all,

I had a spark plug blow out this week on my 2003 Silverado with 4.8L V8.

Short of replacing the head, is an insert a legitimate repair that will last?

I found this product at Auto Zone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ir-system/_/N-26gb?itemIdentifier=141511_0_0_

Will that be sufficient?

Also, I can't work on vehicles in the parking lot of my apartment. Would it be OK to drive it about 15 miles to a buddy's garage missing a plug?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

I have used that type before. Very suitable for aluminum heads. Be sure to coat the cutter/reamer in atf to collect metal debris. I don't know about the 15 mile trip though. Problem being with an open hole tour spraying raw fuel around a hot engine.

3. zachh1020

Thanks for the reply! What if I disconnected the injector? I just really hate to pay $120 for a tow.

4. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

If you can access the connector easily. Then all you would be doin is pumpin air. Gonna sound like an old tractor goin down the road and have to clear some codes. Take your time with the aluminum,it is not real forgiving. Slow and steady.

1 person likes this.
  5. zachh1020

Thanks! I appreciate it!