GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Boat Clubs?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Als09Sierra, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

I know a few members on here have boats. I'm looking into clubs that allow you to reserve a boat to take out when you want. They allow you to take out different types of boats depending on what you're doing. Wanna fish with your buddies, take out a walk-around. Going out with the family, pick from a number of other boats available. Or so they say.

Anyway, on to my question. Does anyone belong or have experience with one of these clubs? We're not ready to buy a boat, but I thought something like this would help us decide if boating is right for us, and what kind of boat we'd need.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I have a Canoe you can Rent.... :rofl:
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

You can put Enkeiavalanche's canoe in my pond. LOL.
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

If you're providing the beer and burgers. :)
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I'll bring the Canoe...... and Energy drink......
  6. silveradotrailblazer

Heck yea!!!!!!!! Come down here and will teach you how to be a redneck. LOL.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Hey I lived in Ga for 2 years.... And went to 2 Nascar races while there... :) And ate Boiled Peanuts....

Anyway Al there is a place here in town that rents boats on the Hudson... Just remember it's about $5-6 bucks a Gal for gas..
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I've had boats for over 25 yrs but I've never heard of a boat club like that.
    It would be nice to be able to test out different boats before buying, in the past I always bought boats either by recomendations from friends or recomendations from experienced boaters.
    This method hasnt really worked out well untill my present boat which I've owned for 8 yrs, it's the first boat I bought that I'm happy with and havent found any issues that I cant live with.
    Boat dealers arent usually willing to put different boats in the water and let you test drive them which surprises me because certain boats cost as much if not more than some cars. They have no problem putting the boat on the water for a fam run after you purchase.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

My father and I sold our Crownline 23 ft last year and we were Very happy with the boat and customer service. And we had a Sea Ray before..
  10. silveradotrailblazer

If you come down I'll introduce to my wife/first cousin and our three boys, BillyBob1, BillyBob2 and Billybob3. LOL.
  11. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Thanks Tim. Most people I speak with either love boating or hate it. The haters say it was too expensive and they didn't get the right boat for their needs. I think towing a boat works nicely for me because I have access to both the LI Sound and the bay or ocean to the South. Also, I'm not forced to pay docking fees and stuck paying $6 per gal or be forced into the ridiculous rules that I've heard that most marinas require, like only using their mechanics. The right boat has to provide the family with a place to get out of the sun and be versatile enough to fish on or lounge at a swimming hole. Being a beginner, or hopefully a beginner, I also don't want anything too big that I can't handle.

STB: I'd love to visit you in Alabama. I have a friend who went to school there and said it's beautiful. Yeehaww. :)
    Enkei: There are places that will rent for a day around here too, and I might consider that if the club turns out to be too expensive.
  12. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Boating is expensive but so are most other hobbies now a days.
    Watch at the marina most people with bigger boats dont go out on the water as much as you think alot of them sit at the marina on their boat and party all weekend long, even sailboats and they dont take much fuel if any at all depending on the winds. They'll run the engines once in a while to warm things up and lube the systems or they boat over to a favorite little cove and tie up then ride back to the dock Sunday afternoon. Lots of them have smaller ski boats, utility boats, or jet ski's to get around in or play with.
    When we go boating with friends we spend more time rafted up swimming and drinking beer (Noodles and floating coozies become just as important as life vests)than we do skiing and tubing, which is why I went to a smaller boat (18.5') I didnt really need a 32' full cabin or aft cabin boat just to tie up, float, and drink beer, also if your the guy with the full head and galley you end up with everybody coming to your boat to use the facilities, sometimes people you dont even know.
    Since your gonna be salt water a "V" hull is a must have, theres some nice "V" hulls in the 22' to 32' range that have full amenities and will qualify for a tax write off as a second home if their outfitted right, add to that you can pull them out of the water with a 1/2 ton truck at the end of the weekend and store them at the house.
    The ability to store a boat at home is important to me for a couple reasons, one I dont have to pay docking or dry storage fees which can get steep, and two if I have repair projects I dont have to lug a tool box over to a storage facility to work on the boat in the evenings after work.
    With kids a bigger boat with some type cabin to get them out of the weather and sun is important, and if you get the right boat you can get a full canvas kit that not only allows you to extend your boating season but gives a few extra covered sleeping spots in the cockpit area.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

I looked around for the boat clubs you were talking about, turns out we have a couple out here, membership prices are almost as much as owning a boat and you still have to pay for fuel used which must be bought from them at about $1.75 to $2.00 a gallon over whatever the normal fuel prices are running.
    We also have 2 dealerships that advertise boat rentals from 14' jet boats to 32' aft cabin models, prices vary and like always the bigger the boat the bigger the price. All you have to do is make reservations and they'll meet you with the boat at one of four local lakes they operate on, launch the boat for you, and you tie it up at the dock at the end of the day and they come pull it out.
    1 person likes this.
  13. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Thanks Tim. I appreciate the advice. It sounds like it may be better to rent when we want to use a boat now and then look to buy down the road. I expect to hear from the club tomorrow to get some prices, so I'll know more then.
  14. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

If you dont mind a used boat now is a great time to buy, this recession has put a lot of toys on the market.
    Boat brokers in my area are swamped with great deals, theres a lot of "take over payments" on the market, problem with a boat like that is you dont know how much of the maintenance they've missed because of being short on money. Still I think if you have someone accompany you that has good boat experience you could probably make a great deal this way.
  15. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Thanks again Tim. I spoke with the club today and the program won't work for us. The one-time payment is almost $5k. Plus, it's almost $400 per month. I might as well buy a boat because the payments I'd want would be less than that. I like your idea of a used boat. You're right, I'll definitely need to bring someone who knows boats and boat motors with me. I have a good friend that would be able to help me with that. We'll see what happens.

Anyone have suggestions for what kind of boat or what brand to look for?
  16. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Sea Ray is always a good boat.. BUT If you want to save some Bucks Look in to Crownline A very well built boat for Less $$$$ And as said above there are plenty of used out there Just get it checked out first...
  17. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I think before choosing a boat mfr you might want to sit down and find out what you want in a boat, what size boat you want and how much your willing to spend for the boat, and maintenance.
    As Stated Sea Ray makes a great boat, Crownline is another great boat as is Glastron, Chris Craft, Wellcraft etc, etc.
    Each boat mfr has their speciality size for example Sea Ray makes 17' to 30' Sport boats (ski boats) that are nice day cruisers then they have the 24' to 37' Sport Cruisers that have cabins and amenities which make them great weekend campers, then you get into the 38' and above range which is to large to pull around. Sea Ray specializes in the 24' to 37' market, thats where they offer boats with the most choices and bang for the buck.
    Crownline specializes in bowriders (again ski boats) they offer cuddy cabins and cruisers but their sale emphasis is on the bowrider line.
    Glastron is big in bowriders, they also offer a line of cuddy cabin and aft cabin boats but their marketing is based on the bowriders.
    Chris Craft is big in bowriders but offers cuddy cabin boats too.
    Well Craft has very nice boats but their mostly sport fisherman with few amenities.
    One boat mfr I'm unsure about is Bayliner, Bayliner boats got a well deserved bad name as a cheap boat in the mid 90's, in the late 90's they worked hard at changing that reputation around but I truthfully dont know many people that have bought Bayliner boats over the last 11yrs and I've heard a lot of reviews going from great to terrible since then.
    Bayliner is also one of the few boat builders that'll set you up with an on the water trial.
    It's really not the season right now but if you can hold off buying this summer I'd recommend you visit the next local boat show. Boat shows in the fall and winter are usually a good place to buy because they discount last years models right from the factory and give you alot of extras for a low price.
  18. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

It's been awhile, but I've been looking and working on the wife, and looking some more and working on the wife some more. She's definitely interested, and I looked at a boat today that I really like. Keep in-mind that if it were up to me, I'd buy the 1997 Pursuit walkaround, but my wife wants something with more creature comforts.

I went out on a 2001 21 foot Sea Ray bowrider today. It has a newly refurbished 5.7L I/O which runs strong and looks clean. The boat is pristine, and even the canvas is clean. You could mistake it for a 2006 or newer. We were out for a half an hour or longer and it runs great and handles chop well. My dilemma is that I was told by a salesman at a different marina that a rebuilt saltwater cooled motor is a waste, and that the block would rot out eventually. The boat has 685 hours on it, and the motor was redone at 650 hrs. I am ready to give the guy a deposit after the wife sees it, but want to understand more about the rebuilt motor. Anyone know about rebuilding a saltwater motor?