1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Boat Cover Question

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by CarpenterGuy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ok, I bought a used Ranger bass boat a couple weeks ago and it has the original perfect fit cover for it. It has some holes in it that the old owner duck taped and seemed to hold up for a while, but with the constant 95-100 degree weather down here, the tape is pealing up. I went over the holes again and duck taped them but i was wondering if there's another way i can seal the holes. is there a patch or something? I remember swimming pools came with a small patch that you could glue to the lining if the pool leaked or something.
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You might look at some place that sells "tents", as they also have "patch kits" which should work on your boat cover. Good luck!
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

look into a sporting good store they should have patches for that
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What type material is it made of?
    If it's canvas and the material isnt rotted the best repair would be to get matching canvas and sew patchs over the inside and outside of the holes.
    If its one of the poly type covers tape it and replace it as soon as you can. Try strapping another tarp over the area with holes.
  5. CarpenterGuy

i'm not really sure what type of meterial it's made of. It's a really thick heavy cover. It has foam backing. about 1/2" foam pads in certain spots
  6. SS350

SS350 New Member

Post a pic if you can.
  7. CarpenterGuy

i'll try to get a pic up as soon as possible. I hit my screen because of your display pic lol
  8. SS350

SS350 New Member

HaHahaha!

I did the the very same thing the first time I saw it.

Years ago I made boat canvas and interiors. If the cover is in decent shape patches can be made.
  9. CarpenterGuy

These are from my phone. I can't find our camera so this is the best I could do. The pads i was talking about earlier are in spots where there's alot of tension or stress, like where the pedistal seats are and on the windsheild area and around where the trolling motor is.

Attached Files:

10. SS350

SS350 New Member

That looks like a patch could be sewn on.As long as the cover is not rotting I would have a canvas shop patch that and reinforce any other areas that could use it.