1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

boat engine in a car?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ntbush83, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got a question that may be stupid but I was just wondering. I know a lot of people talk about swapping automotive v8's in boats but the car engines aren't made as strong and don't have enough power that a boat requires. So if a boat engine is made "better" than could you put a boat engine in a car?
  2. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I dont know anything about boats, just that they are supposed to stay above water...but I suppose if a car engine can go into a boat its possible for the other way around..
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Boat motors have reverse rotation so it won't work. If you buy a camshaft for a boat motor it is differant then a car/truck motor.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't think all marine engines are reverse rotation, because I swear I've seen engines listed in all 4 configurations : car/normal rotation, car/reverse rotation, marine/regular, marine/reverse. One thing you may want to consider is that marine engines are designed to be cooled by the water the boat is sitting in. I think the water pump is different because of this, but a car water pump should be cheap and have the same mounting bosses as a marine pump. You would also have to source a complete accessory drive for it, and the marine engine may not have the mounting bosses drilled and tapped.

That all said, a marine engine would be a nearly unstoppable force in a car. Marine engines are designed to run fast, with a huge load, for long periods of time. Sounds like a winning combination in my book. Marine engines also cost a lot more, if I remember correctly. Research it some, and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.
  5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

WHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTT ...who told u boat engines are reverse rotation ??? BS

Yes it will work , boat engines are build a little looser then car motors on the specs so they can actually work at 5200 + RPM over a piriod of time since boats do not use a tranny. other then that its the same..if its a HP boat engine, u will have better exhaust valves and stuff too.

They are all chevy blocks and only the ones build between 1970-1985 come with the option of reverse rotation because back then the drives where all RH and a twinn engine boat likes both rotations to stay straight.....still very rare !!!!!!

The only differents on the cam would be the lift..they are all the same ....unless u have a counter rotating engine.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

DAREDEVIL, that make sense about the optional '70-'85. My father-in-law had a boat with twin Dodge 440's and when they were rebuilt I remmember the cams had two differant part#'s. His boat was a '83 houseboat.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I knew a former motorhead who found himself in need of a smallblock Chevy in a hurry, he grabbed the phone and called the boat engine guy down the shore and had a re-man delivered the next day...

He pulled his El-camino in the back of our shop that night and had the 'bad' engine waiting there for a core. He was back on the street after two late nights. He woulda been sleeping there in the bunk in his Peterbilt anyway...

My boss never knew I let him use our shop....
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. MonkeyBiz

MonkeyBiz Member

The big issue would be cooling. The easiest way would be to pull the crank, rods, pistons, head, valves (which are all forged), essentially the internals and put them in a vehicle motor.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You normally only find reverse rotation engines if your running dual engines, but thats not guarantee, the rest of the time they'll be normal rotation engines.

Cooling systems can be different but most times Marine engines run a normal water pump, many saltwater used boats have a closed loop cooling system exactly like an automobile.

The largest difference is the marine designation, except for electronics (alternator, etc) Marine and normal automotive items are similiar but if you ever get stopped and get an in depth Coast Guard inspection they will look for certain engine components to be Marine designated.

Marine engines bolt up to many popular transmissions and theres hundreds of distributer and ignition applications available for them.
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

wow thanks for all the input! yeah I knew the cooling system would be an issue but that was the only real issue i could find. But those boat engines are mean! Mercury makes v8 engines that push 1075 horse stock! It would definitely be a cool project if it worked out. Swapping the internals is also a good idea. I never thought about that ha