1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Boat shopping. Need opinions on Carolina Skiff and similar boats

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by starsilverado, Aug 18, 2012.

1. starsilverado

starsilverado Rockstar 100 Posts

Shopping for a boat to use in the sounds of North Carolina some fishing but mostly recreation and to get out to the barrier islands.
    I am kind of leaning towards a Carolina Skiff but I am open to opinions.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I guess it depends on what you are looking to do and what kind of water you will be in. I have a 19.5 ft four winns with a cuddy cabin. It works well for us because it gives the small kids a place to get out of the sun and has a toilet for them. It is great for the medium sized lakes around me and even handles the waves out on the Great lakes well. That being said, I can't take it any where that maybe somewhat shallow as it has a deep v hull. I have friends that river fish and I could never take my boat out with them. Most of them run skiffs or small bass boats. So it really depends on what you are doing. A few guys I know have Boston Whalers. They are really nice boats.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm guessing your wanting something to deal with some chop? What size range and price range are you looking into. I don't even touch salt Water without an outboard or a flush kit when we had a wakeboard boat on the ocean. I'd look into center consoles and find one with a 250 and you'll be set.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Triton center consoles are really nice. About 20 foot or so would probably be alright with a 200+- some HP. Around here we see center consoles out in the gulf by some close platforms in 1-3ft chop catching specks. These same boats we'd see bass fishin in the marsh and then pulling the kids on tubes and hydroslides in the afternoon.

Guess it all comes down to who you want to give your money to.
  5. ahmitchell1

[​IMG]
    this thing will kill some tubers.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Carolina Skiffs are nice, real popular in that area and they do a great job.
    I've always been a fan of Boston Whalers ever since I watched a demonstration where they cut one in half and it continued to float with the engine and driver in the back end.
    Just about any decent 20+ ft center console would work well in that area.
  7. starsilverado

yeah well I can dream! that tuber killer is a little (who are we kidding?) way over budget.
  8. starsilverado

Thanks for the replies. I want something economical to run and just to get out into the sounds. Where birds sometimes walk on water and crab pots appear to float and the chop can get rough too. Of course the better half wants amenities like cabin and potty. Carolina Skiffs are by far the most popular around the North Carolina coast, Some friends have Sea Pros. So I guess I am asking for other makes that work well in this area.

Thanks again
  9. ahmitchell1

Yea it's pricey but it's the best island hopper on the market it's nice and heavy and slices thru the water so well. Best boat my family has ever owned.( the picture isn't mine but same motor package
  10. starsilverado

it has been a long process !!! have decided on the boat but not on the power. It will be a 150 hp any opinions on Yamaha vs. Mercury

Kinda like asking a Ford Vs. Dodge question maybe???