1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

body lift vs suspension lift..?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by AJ's Sierra, Apr 7, 2009.

1. AJ's Sierra

AJ's Sierra Rockstar

hey just wondering what the differences is between the two. just tryin to do my homework you know.. wat are the advantages and disadvantages for both?
  2. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

A suspension lift will lift everything on your truck except the wheels, rear axle, and hubs. A body list only lifts the body off of the frame so you won't actually gain any ground clearance but you will gain more tire clearance. Here's what I can think of for pros and cons

Body lift pros:

Cheap easy lift
    will not wear out suspension parts or hurt your truck mechanically in any way
    will not change the ride stiffness
    less body roll than a suspension lift (a 2" body lift will creat less roll than a 2" suspension kit because there is a lower center of mass)

Body lift cons:

does not gain any ground clearance
    creates a visual gap between the frame and bed in the wheel wells
    will show off more of your frame
    Some intakes will either not work or will not fit correctly
    not really considered a lift by some people

Suspension lift pros:

Lifts the entire vehicle and gains ground clearance
    keeps your frame hidden

Suspension lift cons:

More expensive than a body lift
    will wear out drive parts quicker such as ball joints, wheel hubs, and CV joints
    stiffens ride

I'm sure there are pleanty more but thats just what I can think of at the moment. Suspension lifts are a lot better but a body lift is a cheap way to gain the clearance for bigger tires and gain the appearance of a larger truck.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

do a search for other threads like this, I know there are a few out there
  4. 903redneckchevy

903redneckchevy New Member

suspension gives you the ground clearance you really like to have on a mud or trail ride whereas a body lift gives you more room for tires and such. body lifts are better if your mainly goin for looks but you might look into both because you dont want your body sittin way up above your suspension cause it jus looks wierd. if your goin for looks only id say about a 4 inch body and it will look way better than before.
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would never do a body lift over 3 inches. Just my .02
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Even the experts wouldnt recommend going over 3".

con for body lifts: if you dont do regular maintenance on the body mount bolts, i.e checking the torque regularly you have the posibility of shearing off a bolt or pulling the fastener through the mount.
  7. AJ's Sierra

AJ's Sierra Rockstar

so no to a body lift of more than 3 inches but its ok for suspension lift of more than 3in?
  8. ridnrimz

ridnrimz Rockstar 100 Posts

you can do a suspension lift as high as you want... don't do the body lift over 3 in
  9. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

body lift looks good, unless you can see that terrible looking gap between the frame and box.
  10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i know that in texas and a few other states more than a 3 body is illegal..
    and not safe..