Body Work

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MXZ1983, May 14, 2009.

1. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok, so here goes... I have the 93 silverado and im starting to get a hint of surface rust just bubbling through the paint on my cab corners. I'm thinking about doing the whole bottom (the tan part) in the black spray on rubberized undercoating stuff. I will take off my running boards, sand the tan where it isnt rusty to get it a little rough to get it to stick, and sand the "rust" spots down to bare metal and prime it there.

I have a couple of questions for this

1) If i sand all of the tan, after priming the "rust" spots that were down to bare metal, do i need to prime the rest of the bottom of the truck?

2) Do i need to sand the primer or will the rubberized undercoating stick to the primer

3) What grain sandpaper do i use for sanding the tan where it isnt rusty to get the undercoating to stick to it better.

Any in put with these would be great.....thanks guys, i know you will all help where you can...

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No, not necessarily. Before you put primer, though, let me suggest a little bit of rust treatment if there is any pitting. For the rest of the paint.. scuff (sand) it and blend the primer to the rest, making sure everything is well feathered. While you have the primer in the gun, though, I'd go ahead and spray everything.

Sand the primer. It never hurts to sand any surface prior to any sort of paint.

Go for a 600. This will be a rough sanding - don't do too much or you'll go right through the paint.

Keep in mind that prior to painting any coats, primer or otherwise, clean the surface well with a light swipe of acetone or rubbing alcohol after washing with soap.

Good luck.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. AUSTING64

AUSTING64 New Member

I work in a body shop and i would have to agree with springthing was and grease remover works good to clean the surface to

4. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Rockstar 100 Posts

ok, i cant really get ahold of a primer gun, im gonna have to use primer spraypaint, so im gonna get like rust oleum or something, a good brand not cheap, do i still paint all of the tan or just the bare metal areas? thanks for the help guys. And just lightly go over all the tan with 600 and the undercoating will stick to that ok?

appreciate the help... just want to do it right so it looks good.

5. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

One thing about rust repair is trying to stop it completely. If you have a concern about it returning in the same area this maybe something to consider. It is a little on the expensive side, but a well respected custom car mechanic in my town recommends this stuff.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Paint/products/1/